Stock Standard Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In response to the sugar question, i've always just added it at the last 15 mins. Not sure why, just what i do. Works for me. Never used dextrose in a full mash brew.

Would everybody here agree that when attempting a Coopers Pale Ale clone there should be no hop additions other than for bittering? There's just something that doesn't feel right about no late hop additions! I usually add a small addition at 10mins (usually POR but last time it was EKG).

I'm keen to get a good CPA style brew happening - would be a great "sessional" beer to always have in the fridge.

TD, I have a coopers clone that is my standard house ale, when I was formulating the recipe I tried adding small amounts of late addition hops as aroma, then flavour and finally stayed with the coopers standard of bittering hops only.

CPA is a fairly delicate beer with a light malt profile that is made even lighter by the <19% sugar addition to the kettle, and late addition hops seem to dominate and ruin a really nice, easy to drink beer. In fact it is easy to overdo the bittering hops as well so I tend to bitter with POR to 27ibu's at the most now.
This is one beer that non home brew people will tuck into with real gusto.

Cheers
Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
TD, I have a coopers clone that is my standard house ale, when I was formulating the recipe I tried adding small amounts of late addition hops as aroma, then flavour and finally stayed with the coopers standard of bittering hops only.

CPA is a fairly delicate beer with a light malt profile that is made even lighter by the <19% sugar addition to the kettle, and late addition hops seem to dominate and ruin a really nice, easy to drink beer. In fact it is easy to overdo the bittering hops as well so I tend to bitter with POR to 27ibu's at the most now.
This is one beer that non home brew people will tuck into with real gusto.

Cheers
Andrew
[post="110745"][/post]​

Good stuff, thanks Andrew. To date I have not used any sugar, and have always added a small late hop addition. Next time, I'll bite the bullet and add 500g of sugar (I have 2kg of Coopers "brewing sugar" that I don't know what to do with) and go for a bittering addition only. Just one more small thing - pilsner or ale malt? I made my last CPA style brew with pils as the base malt and even though its still in the fermenter, it seems to be the most authentic tasting of all the attempts I have made in the past. I find ale malt to be a bit too "full" for the CPA style (although maybe when I add the sugar that will take care of it). Sorry for steering this off topic a tad :(

TD, the sugar will take care of it, use the ale malt it rounds it out very nicely.

This is my house ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 28.84 L
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 26.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5Grain 79.6 %
0.10 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EGrain 2.7 %
0.03 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 0.5 %
23.00 gm Pride Of Ringwood [10.00%] (60 min) Hops 26.5 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.65 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 17.2 %
1 whitelabs dry english ale 1lt starter

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 3.12 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 9.36 L of water at 73.2 C 65.6 C 60 min

Edit: changed yeast, I now use WLP007

looks good Andrew.
what do you do with the sugar?
long boil?

tangent said:
looks good Andrew.
what do you do with the sugar?
long boil?
[post="110767"][/post]​

I put the sugar in at the start of the boil, for the full 60 min.

Mine's similar to Andrew's, enjoying one now. It's the first time I've tried sugar in a beer, other then my Pliny, and it has lightened it somewhat, but still has a full malt finish. Next I'll try 50% Ale and 50% Pils and might get it closer to what I'm looking for.

Cheers.

----------

06-10 Australian Ale VI

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 20.00 Wort Size (L): 20.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.01
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.23
Anticipated SRM: 4.7
Anticipated IBU: 26.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
84.8 3.40 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
10.0 0.40 kg. Cane Sugar Generic 1.046 0
4.5 0.18 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 2
0.7 0.03 kg. JWM Caramalt Australia 1.036 28

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
17.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 9.10 25.0 60 min.
5.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 9.10 2.0 15 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP009 Australian Ale

I just use 50% Trad Ale and 50% export pilsner

no wheat or crystal, and it gives a nice tight white head

Hopped using POR at 60mins for 25IBU, and cascade at 20 mins to about for another 2-3 IBU

Dead simple and easy to drink

I am looking at doing a pale for my next brew, and I finally have some grains & hops in stock. By the sounds of it a 50/50 ale/pilsner may be the go but I also have some specialty malts I want to try.

I have Caramunich I, Carahelles and Carared to play with as well as Northern Brewer, Amarillo and POR hops to play around with.

I was thinking this recipe for a double batch .. any advice on changes / improvements?

4.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (3.0 SRM) Grain 47.4 %
4.50 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 47.4 %
0.25 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM) Grain 2.6 %
0.25 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 2.6 %
50.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.90%] (90 min) Hops 32.2 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [9.00%] (10 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
48.00 L Canberra Water Water
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

manaen said:
I am looking at doing a pale for my next brew, and I finally have some grains & hops in stock. By the sounds of it a 50/50 ale/pilsner may be the go but I also have some specialty malts I want to try.

I have Caramunich I, Carahelles and Carared to play with as well as Northern Brewer, Amarillo and POR hops to play around with.

I was thinking this recipe for a double batch .. any advice on changes / improvements?

4.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (3.0 SRM) Grain 47.4 %
4.50 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 47.4 %
0.25 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM) Grain 2.6 %
0.25 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 2.6 %
50.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.90%] (90 min) Hops 32.2 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [9.00%] (10 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
48.00 L Canberra Water Water
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale
[post="112457"][/post]​

Looks pretty good Manean. Happy birthday BTW.

Not sure how Amarillo and POR would go together as I've never tried it, but if your leaning towards a US style pale then I would be inclined to go all Amarillo by itself (as the AA% is high) in a single hop pale ale, or as noted by others, POR and Hallertau.

Cheers.

:beer: Happy Birthday :party:

I am a pride of ringwood fan, but I found it is best bittered around an IBU of 25 max. Above this can give you a harsh bitterness.

This is not a burn all ringwood hops post, just think it may be wise to use less of it in this brew... or even use another.

Cheers,
Jarrad

I have brewed an Amarillo APA that was bittered with POR. I think it was quite possibly the best beer I have made to date. Go for it mate, looks good!

Back