Stir plate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can recommend against getting a Hanna Instruments stir plate. Their support is very poor given the price point. I would speculate the support is poor for a home brewer because they’re not set up to support individuals (even individuals foolish enough to spend over $1,000 on pH meters, probes, buffers and other solutions, stir plates and thermometers).

I purchased their stir plate for just over $200, a little over two years ago. A month ago, less than three months out of their two-year warranty, having only done about a dozen starters over the two years, it became defective. Long story short Hanna refused to replace or repair free of charge, and instead recommended I simply buy another stir plate from them for $220.

I’ve gone with the new Kegland one instead, for a fraction of the price, and will share my initial impressions here when I’ve done a starter on it (this weekend assuming it arrives on Friday). This model does not have the heater function, but as others have said, heating is not necessary if you are able to keep the starter inside your house and the temperature is not crazy cold.

I made my own heated stir plate. It used the diy version from digital Homebrew
http://www.digitalhomebrew.com/diy-magnetic-stirplate-kit-v2
I then added a little temp controller and had it switching a motor bike handle warmer on and off.
I posted the build on here a year or so ago. I’ll see if I can find the post and link it
Works a treat!

It’s been over a month but I finally got around to putting the $33 Kegland stir plate through its paces this week.

As I mentioned above, previously I’d used a rather expensive Hanna magnetic stirrer. The Hanna unit obviously wasn’t designed to stir 2+ litres in Erlenmeyer flaks, because it couldn’t even get a proper whirlpool in a two litre starter (I assume it was meant for sitting 300ml solutions in beakers for pH measurements.

The Kegland unit on the other hand is nice and powerful, gets the whirlpool going in 2 litres easily and feels really sturdy and well built - metal casing and feels like it is well held together.

Obviously time will tell if it is durable, but even if it only lasts two years like the Hanna, at $33 to replace I won’t be complaining.

Latest posts

Back