Stir plate - reculturing coopers yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigj

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this? How many bottles would I need if I'm using a stir plate? I'm assuming it's less than the usual 6 pack? Thanks

I've done 3 -4 stubbies chilled or couple of tallies which gives me more bottles for my big stouts, left to settle upright in my fridge at home for at least several days to a week,decanted into a jug and drunk of course:) more if you feel like having a few one evening as well .
I crack them open after starsan around tops, fill beer into jug slowly for consumption , put cap on and leave them to come upto room temp for say 1 hr before tipping into spinning malt on plate.

1 cm of sediment/beer in bottom of stubbies, swirled and tipped in at close to room temp of 500 ml of 1020 starter, stirplate for 36 hrs, stepped upto 1.5 ltrs at 1040. Stirred on plate for 24 hrs, very active, then into brew.pinch of yeast nutrient.

Done it heaps of times, always had success. I've used sparkling ale and pale ale many times depending on which one I want to drink at the time. All work same and same unique coopers taste . Just try and find the youngest bottles at the bottle shop.

I've got frozen samples which I've used with success a few times, but generally just buy couple of tallies as I like the bottles for future aged brews.

The more the better I think. It depends how many you can drink in one night, or help you do so.
I make the starter and get it going then add the swilled sediment fresh from each bottle at a time (after carefully poured into a glass) don't touch the rim. I recap and let them sit to get close to the starter temp. I sometimes add to the starter 2 or 3 nights in a row. 6 to 10 stubbies of Pale Ale.
2.5lt starter at 1.040. Coopers even recommend using dextrose instead of malt which I have done its just harder to tell the stages of ferment. Leave it stir plate for, enough days to brew out, then chill, then pour off the top water and there's your yeast.

Yeast from a 6 pack of the mild should theoretically be in better nick. may not be turned over as quickly in your area though so your milage may vary.

Latest posts

Back