Still Airlock Activity After Almost 4 Weeks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzDog

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My second brew will have been fermenting for 4 weeks this Saturday, still today there is some airlock activity, not alot but it is still bubbling every few minutes. Is this normal?

It is a Corona clone using Brew Cellar Premium Lager Yeast.

My first brew was the Coopers Lager from the brew kit and it was over in 7 days.

Cheers,

Az

Have you been taking any hydrometer readings? If so, what were they?

If not take one now.

Brew cellar lager yeast is a genuine lager yeast that should take longer to ferment at proper lager temps (7-12). Coopers basic lager kit is not. If you brewed at appropriate temperatures it would take significantly longer to ferment out. As bum said though - gravity readings are the only real way to make sure.

OG = 1050

I took a reading late last week and it was 1010.

Sounds done to me but take another reading to confirm.

Sometimes the airlock can keep blooping due to CO2 being released from solution - this is normal and not anything to worry about. Your gravity is low enough not to worry about and another reading of 1010 will confirm this.

Agreed. 1010 is pretty close to done under any definition (beyond cider and other non beers fermented with wine yeast).

Just to make sure, leave it a few more days then measure it again (thic will help make better beer) but i can't imagine it will drop much lower (maybe 1008 depending on ingredients).

ok just took a reading and it is now 1006.

Do I leave it to keep going???

Or do I bottle??

Sounds done to me but take another reading to confirm.

Sometimes the airlock can keep blooping due to CO2 being released from solution - this is normal and not anything to worry about. Your gravity is low enough not to worry about and another reading of 1010 will confirm this.

+1 The goose is cooked! Bag and tag it.

Bum I really have to stop agreeing with you!

ok just took a reading and it is now 1006.

Do I leave it to keep going???

Or do I bottle??

Wait. Check it in a couple of days. Even when fermentation is finished, the brew can benefit from extra time to clean up some of the yeast byproducts and you have the advantage of making sure the brew is properly done.

Are you certain your hydrometer is accurate?

Wait. Check it in a couple of days. Even when fermentation is finished, the brew can benefit from extra time to clean up some of the yeast byproducts and you have the advantage of making sure the brew is properly done.

Are you certain your hydrometer is accurate?

ok thanks Manticle, I will wait a couple of days and take another measurement, it sounds like it is pretty much done.

It tastes alright! :)

I guess my hydrometer is accurate, how can I test?

So you guys are saying bottle it?????

No leave it for another week!

dumbass.jpg

:icon_cheers:

EDIT: Don't take me seriously BTW but at 1010 and being a kit it's done Trust olde Chap Chap

No leave it foranother week!

dumbass.jpg

:icon_cheers:

Image saved but uncalled for, he's gotten some slightly contradictory information (though all valid, IMO).

Image saved but uncalled for, he's gotten some slightly contradictory information (though all valid, IMO).

True Bum but at 1010 she's done. Maybe scrape 1008? Dunno? I'd bottle it especially after 4 friggin' weeks?

Az no harm no fowl mate :icon_cheers: Sorry if I offended.

Chap Chap

True Bum but at 1010 she's done. Maybe scrape 1008? Dunno? I'd bottle it especially after 4 friggin' weeks?

Yep, I agree but it never hurts to ask. But I doubt Manticle's advice is going to do anything but help (although maybe subtly at this point) if followed.

Add to that that it dropped from 1010 to 1006. Possibly not reading the hydrometer correctly but it's better to be certain than to risk bombs, non?

Also beer that is waited for tastes better than beer that is rushed. We should all be able to attest to that.

Back