Step Mash profile for ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo__04

Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking to do a Dr Smurtos Golden ale on the weekend.

Single mash is normally 66 degrees.

Im looking at doing my fist step mash, can someone recommend a step mash profile for a Golden ale?

Thanks heaps!

Erm....if the recipe calls for a single temperature infusion, why would you want to unnecessarily complicate it with a stepped mash regime?

Any idiot can over-complicate something that doesn't need to be....

Ah ok, Maybe i am overcomplicating it.

Just got my braumeister clone up and running and thought a general advantage was to step mash.

If it doesnt ask for it i guess i wont do it then

Step mashes are great and the results are well worth it. However they are worth it when you know what you want from them and why. Not to be done for the sake of it. With undermodified malt yes but I doubt you could buy it if you tried.

I generally add a 10min 72 degree step to a single infusion mash profile because ive found it creates a really nice creamy head.

I'm a Me Too on the 72 rest. Worth it for better density of head. I've messed about with Carapils vs the 72/glycoprotein rest and the difference seems to be head density. This is purely based on my own observations so take it as it is. The Carapils has given me lots of head (obligatory joke goes here) but with big, blowzy bubbles that subside quickly. The 72 rest seems to give a head with more density that lasts longer. I'm no expert brewer though so run your own trials. I'd think the step-accuracy of using a BM might help you make a decision on this relatively quickly.

Neo - there are some good resources worth checking out to see whate results step mashing will give. Linking is difficult on a phone but start by googling 'braukaiser theory of mashing'. Basically different temps favour or optimise the activity of specific enzymes which will all contribute to the end result. By stepping you can specifically target the ones you want to tweak your beer the way you want.

Mardoo said:
I'm a Me Too on the 72 rest. Worth it for better density of head. I've messed about with Carapils vs the 72/glycoprotein rest and the difference seems to be head density. This is purely based on my own observations so take it as it is. The Carapils has given me lots of head (obligatory joke goes here) but with big, blowzy bubbles that subside quickly. The 72 rest seems to give a head with more density that lasts longer. I'm no expert brewer though so run your own trials. I'd think the step-accuracy of using a BM might help you make a decision on this relatively quickly.
Do you just add this 72 rest on the way up to mash out temp?

I don't have too many brews up my belt but this is what I've found -

I did multiple-rest mashes to start with (40-56-67-78) because I had a fancy HERMS system and wanted to take advantage of it.
The more I read, the 40 rest was unnecessary. So I doughed in at 35 instead.
The more I trialled I found the dough-in unnecessary, so I stopped it and mashed in for the protein-glucose rest.
I read that this is only really good for grists with low diastatic power or when using a portion of adjuncts or less modified malts, which I don't regularly use.

Now, I mash in at sacc temp for most brews, do a 15 min rest at 72, then mash out. Quicker, simpler, and honestly my beers are getting better the more I use the system. Mainly from technique, fermentation control etc. but it's not like my beers ever suffered from dropping some rests with typical well modified malts and simple grain bills.

I encourage you to experiment like I did but when folks tell you only 1 or 2 rests are required, I'd believe them. Or don't, try it your own way, do it differently the next time and then judge for yourself (which I think's more fun anyway).

Can someone really dumb this down for me? You add 72C water for the final part of the mash?

If you have a BM clone just ramp the temp (after your main rest is complete) up to 72c, hold for ten minutes, then ramp to mashout.

Get the mash itself to 72. Hold for 10 minutes. Mash out at 78 for another 10.

Or if BIAB flame on and stir until you reach 72, which is easy enough if you know roughly how long ramp temps are.

Latest posts

Back