steamrail

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or just buy a different product elsewhere.

Yeah, that's probably a more reasonable course of action.

Just got back from Aldi. I live literally two blocks away from a BILO (Coles) but only use them for convenience items. Say what you like about German ownership etc, at least so far all their Australian profits have been ploughed back into the local operation and they have got the big 2 running scared (unit pricing and soon, hopefully, national pricing in every store) etc etc.

On topic they have their own "gateway" beers as well, Walter Whitman or Whitman Turner or some such concoction ( I think their MILFina brand of ice cream is a bit near the bone, though) . The amber wasn't too bad alongside the likes of many JS and LC brews.

While I've brewed grain beers for close to 10 years now and sampled a bucketload aswell. I will not turn down many beers if someone offers me one unless it's corona or a lime flavored anything like the millers I think it is.

If I'm at a pub and I have to drink swill I don't have a cry about it. I'll even pay for shit beer. Heck I've even enjoyed a tinnie of vb recently.

All the new beers around regardless of who makes them or where they come from only delights me as it's another beer I get to sample and talk about.

Back on topic I'm drinking an aldi 6 pack of hopper Whitman Belgian style wheat ale. Upon reading the bottle it comes from USA. I don't care either it cost me $11 and I'm gunna drink all of em today. And probly go back tomoz and get a few more to drink over the weekend.

Cheers

GalBrew said:
Well for the sake of of being thorough, I decided to try a single bottle of the golden and pale ale. For what they are they actually don't smell too bad, but they have ZERO flavour. They are very light in body, to the point of being watery and really just taste like soda water on the finish. I would much rather drink a VB or a Tooheys Old than these Steamrail beers (I don't even feel the need to try the amber). I don't even know how to classify these beers, they pretend to be craft but they are substandard to megaswill in terms of production quality. So take home message is that they are in fact cat's piss and I would not even drink them for free, they are that bad.
[attachment=69801:ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1395381355.563410.jp
Yuuuuuuck!! Lesson learnt about buying new beers before reading the forum.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1395381355.563410.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1395381355.563410.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 42
Trevandjo said:
[attachment=69801:ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1395381355.563410.jp
Yuuuuuuck!! Lesson learnt about buying new beers before reading the forum.

[/QUOTE]
My local 1st choice had a gift-pack of 8 stubbies for $20. Mixed in with some nice beers, was this stuff. When this first hit the market it tasted like a crappy version of a Pale Ale. Somehow it's become worse. :huh:

Resurrecting this thread from the grave.

Been working in the backyard most of the day cementing in garden edging. Bugger of a job. And I'm feeling whacked, my back and knees are complaining, and I'm in need of a drink.
My own brewed stock is down to zero for another week or two, for reasons which don't matter, so needing a quick quaffer to slake a well earned thirst, I mosey on down to my local Coles booze outlet.
Cheapest sixer is Steamrail. Chose the Amber Ale.

It's beer, it's light, has a little malt and a little caramel character, very little hoppiness but a hint of bitterness on the finish, in spite of the claimed 25 IBU, but it's quite drinkable for what I need at the moment, although without any standout character.

Would I drink it as my regular beer? No, but it was cheap at $16 for a sixer compared to others, so it suits me for now. It has no obvious faults, and it's something you could serve up to your usual major brand drinking guests without any issues.

Latest posts

Back