steamrail

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These beers dont, and aren't particularly intended to push into the craft beer market - they are intended to pressure the big brewers and push into the mega beer market.

A previous poster talked about there only being two brands of cornflakes on the supermarket shelves - coles home brand and the market leader - a good analogy, its just that cornflakes isn't a market category.... breakfast cereal is. And there are more types, varieties, options and choices of breakfast cereal than there have ever been before on the shelves. Consumers demand the choice, choice is in fact THE consumer demand.

Craft beer isn't cornflakes - its bircher muslie, puffed quinoa, organic flaked oats - VB is cornflakes, TED is rice bubbles and James Squire is maybe fruitloops. Coles doesn't give an underweight rats arse about pushing into the puffed quinoa market! (they sell about three packs a week to anemic looking hippies with fat wallets and children with whooping cough) its that rice bubble action they really want. But maybe they'll creep up on it via the fruitloops hey???

Thirsty Boy said:
Coles doesn't give an underweight rats arse about pushing into the puffed quinoa market!
Not disagreeing with your good points above but Safeway does seem to be begining to distribute rodent anus on this issue (not so much on the manufacturing side - more retail). It is bound to spill over into the Liquorlands eventually. Does the top end of town have an official position on this, do you know?

It still takes up fridge space - so the puffed quinoa gets pushed to one shelf where it may have had one and a half. Or gets put on a 'hot' shelf, where a discerning 'hippie' will not touch it, and a 'craft-curious' layperson may try it and get a box of weevils. Puffed quinoa sales at coles decline resulting in them not stocking it as much / at all.

In QLD this is an issue because virtually every bottle-o is either coles or woolies. We don't have the independents stocking a range puffed quinoa, and if we do they are a 40min trek across town to get to.

For example - I was at a Dan Murphys a few months ago (not my usual, but one with limited cold storage). they had one. yes ONE glass door for beer, of which there were three shelves of megaswill, three shelves of sail & anchor, and one shelf of mixed singles (craft & international). They did however have an entire 'hot' aisle of aussie/international craft beer, covered in dust and probably lightstruck (full ht glass doors at the end of the aisle).

rant isn't over but I'm bored now.

Thirsty Boy said:
Coles doesn't give an underweight rats arse about pushing into the puffed quinoa market! (they sell about three packs a week to anemic looking hippies with fat wallets and children with whooping cough)
Champagne comedy!!
champagne_glasses.jpg

Thirsty Boy said:
These beers dont, and aren't particularly intended to push into the craft beer market - they are intended to pressure the big brewers and push into the mega beer market.

Check out the Marketing though Thirsty. Banner in an ad I seen saying "Get on board our newest craft beer" or something to that effect.

definitely stated Craft beer over a section only populated by the Coles Product.

Cant comment on taste haven't tried.

attached is another one on the web site.

Screen shot 2013-01-23 at 1.06.08 PM.jpg

Dan2 said:
Tried a few Golden's last night at my bro inlaw's and enjoyed them. And a Pale too.
But tried the Amber tonight, and both the others again and they all tasted like watered down versions of ale.
Difference being - out the bottle last night, and in a glass tonight.
Maybe the vessel makes all the difference?
But seeing that I prefer real beer in a glass, I won't buy this beer again.

Could've also just been the excitement of trying something new? And the novelty's worn off tonight
Yep - seems I'm just a sucker for different labels. First bottle was good. But now I'm having another and looking forward to ridding the fridge of the last few

No matter who brews this or what it's called it is sold by Cole's, like that or not many people who would never try a beer like this may give one a shot. Buy a sixer or a mate will hand one on to them, some will think, hell this is a change form VB or whoa this is crap.. All in all it's opening the minds of some mega swillers, nothing but good can come of this for Australian micros.
Personally I think it's a fantastic thing, and they call it Craft Brewed Beer, great half the yobos learned some new words and perhaps it may create a little interest.

It's not going to compete with anyone who buys craft brewed beers but it may just gain them another costumer or six.

Keep it cheap and some wil try it.

Batz

bum said:
Not disagreeing with your good points above but Safeway does seem to be begining to distribute rodent anus on this issue (not so much on the manufacturing side - more retail). It is bound to spill over into the Liquorlands eventually. Does the top end of town have an official position on this, do you know?

But look into who's niche it is they are creeping?? Are they ripping off moondog's marketing schtick or maybe just the already over populated and quality diluted offering from another major. Aby the time coles is brewing something that could stomp on the toes of good local, innovative craft brewers..... well, they pretty much be brewing good innovative craft type beer, so who cares?

Liam_snorkel said:
It still takes up fridge space - so the puffed quinoa gets pushed to one shelf where it may have had one and a half. Or gets put on a 'hot' shelf, where a discerning 'hippie' will not touch it, and a 'craft-curious' layperson may try it and get a box of weevils. Puffed quinoa sales at coles decline resulting in them not stocking it as much / at all.
In QLD this is an issue because virtually every bottle-o is either coles or woolies. We don't have the independents stocking a range puffed quinoa, and if we do they are a 40min trek across town to get to.
For example - I was at a Dan Murphys a few months ago (not my usual, but one with limited cold storage). they had one. yes ONE glass door for beer, of which there were three shelves of megaswill, three shelves of sail & anchor, and one shelf of mixed singles (craft & international). They did however have an entire 'hot' aisle of aussie/international craft beer, covered in dust and probably lightstruck (full ht glass doors at the end of the aisle).
rant isn't over but I'm bored now.
Maybe - but 15years ago, the one fridge full of Megas is ALL there was.

I just think craft beer fanatics are all a bit too pessemistic - IMO the war is already won. There is more fridge space, more branding, more shelf space for craft than there is for any of the majors. OK - maybe in the backwoods there are a few skirmishes still going on, but in any major city.... jobs done boys. The reason mega beer is bad, isn't just bcause the beer is in and of itself bad - its because you had no choice but to drink it. Now you do.

This stuff migh drive a couple of craft brewers off the shelf... fair enough. But seriously, which ones will be the ones to go?? Maybe the bad ones who didn't really deserve to be there in the first place - its probably high time for a little of that anyway.

Thirsty Boy said:
But look into who's niche it is they are creeping?? Are they ripping off moondog's marketing schtick or maybe just the already over populated and quality diluted offering from another major. Aby the time coles is brewing something that could stomp on the toes of good local, innovative craft brewers..... well, they pretty much be brewing good innovative craft type beer, so who cares?
You're correct but that's also why my question was pointed towards the big boys rather than the little guy. I'm sure CUB/Tooheys are not stoked that my local supermarket has over half of the display fridge area devoted to "craft" beer and "premium" "imports". I understand that in one way or another the big breweries already have a finger in many of those pies but it still significantly dilutes their main business, right?

Thirsty Boy said:

Maybe - but 15years ago, the one fridge full of Megas is ALL there was.

I just think craft beer fanatics are all a bit too pessemistic - IMO the war is already won. There is more fridge space, more branding, more shelf space for craft than there is for any of the majors. OK - maybe in the backwoods there are a few skirmishes still going on, but in any major city.... jobs done boys. The reason mega beer is bad, isn't just bcause the beer is in and of itself bad - its because you had no choice but to drink it. Now you do.

This stuff migh drive a couple of craft brewers off the shelf... fair enough. But seriously, which ones will be the ones to go?? Maybe the bad ones who didn't really deserve to be there in the first place - its probably high time for a little of that anyway.
The problem might be that Coles will shove beers off the fridge, purposely to stock their own. Beers will drop off more by push from Coles, than by lack of consumer demand, just like milk. I dont hear anyone complaining about their missing milk brand, they just buy the coles brand instead and do nothing about it.

Hopefully it goes the other way, that people might get more into craft beer, but I'm not sure how Coles releasing a beer entices someone over to craft beer? There are already so many choices, why would this tip them?

Golden ale has definite hop aroma and flavour is a little watery. I don't mind it actually

Would definitely pick this over James squire golden ale

And the amber is terrible wow no taste at all

So they found a way to use up all the unsold coles brand kits from the HB sections they closed down?!

I got one stubbie of each yesterday . 1st choice had a front of house display of warm cartons stating 'only one carton per person'. To me it seemed like they were trying to convince buyers into thinking it is some sort of limited release , or exclusive beer. Pretty sneaky if thats the case .
Anyway I enjoyed the Amber, lovely colour with subtle maltyness, nothing amazing but i was expecting dog shit so i was suprised. Next was the golden ale, again I enjoyed it , more than the amber, I am pretty sure I got some galaxy aroma and flavour ! Really suprised , left me wondering if the brewer had been following all the hype around galaxy over the last 2-3 years, if so , good on them ! Still have the pale to try ....

Overall I doubt I will buy again , but I was suprised for the better by their brews

bum said:
You're correct but that's also why my question was pointed towards the big boys rather than the little guy. I'm sure CUB/Tooheys are not stoked that my local supermarket has over half of the display fridge area devoted to "craft" beer and "premium" "imports". I understand that in one way or another the big breweries already have a finger in many of those pies but it still significantly dilutes their main business, right?
The issue much preoccupies the minds of the big boys - they aren't in the least frightened of "craft" beer.... they are frightened of Coles and Woolies market domination. They aren't frightened of coles or woolies brewing their own i dont think, its as simple as the fact that there isn't anyone who can actually brew the requisite volumes apart from the big boys, so if its big, they'll end up being the ones brewing it anyway,.... they'll just be forced to sell it at such a low price point that they'll not make any money doing it, and the beer they make no money on will steal market share from the beers they do make money on.

Nothing every other food manufacturer isn't dealing with.

My concern is when I go to woolies liquor, there's a fridge of mega beer, a fridge of sail & anchor and gage and 2-3 fridges of cider, half a fridge of craft and half a fridge of imports

That's putting the home brand in as much prominence as everything else and there used to be a whole fridge of craft, now there is 1.5 of "craft brewers" if you count the GRB brewed stuff, but really a token Murray's and a mountain goat.

Thirsty Boy said:
The issue much preoccupies the minds of the big boys - they aren't in the least frightened of "craft" beer.... they are frightened of Coles and Woolies market domination. They aren't frightened of coles or woolies brewing their own i dont think, its as simple as the fact that there isn't anyone who can actually brew the requisite volumes apart from the big boys, so if its big, they'll end up being the ones brewing it anyway,.... they'll just be forced to sell it at such a low price point that they'll not make any money doing it, and the beer they make no money on will steal market share from the beers they do make money on.

Nothing every other food manufacturer isn't dealing with.
Sounds something akin to what they have done to the Australian Dairy Farming Industry. The Australian Government is as much to blame for sitting there and watching all the dairy farmers go to the wall.

It would be a good thing if Steamrail forces JS to make their Golden Ale drinkable again.
Disclaimer - But Coles sucks goats arses anyway.

NewtownClown said:
Craft Beer represents 1% of the total beer market and beer is only about 4% of liquor sales in Australia, so it is easy (and probably correct) to be cynical when Coles, who control 25% of liquor sales in Australia wade in with their own product.

Imagine how hard it is going to be for a small(er) brewery to get shelf space in the stores owned by the duopoly who are stocking their own products at a cheap price. Look at how much shelf space is devoted to home brands in the Supermarkets lately and how other suppliers are being pushed out if they can't compete with those home brands ($1 per litre milk, anyone?).
Many will say that in these price wars the winner is the consumer, that's only true if you are not interested in having choice.
its 45 a carton at first choice , overpriced for what you get i recon
30-35 a carton would be more like it

Back