Steamfest!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trough Lolly

"Drink, Feck, Arse, Girls"!
Reaction score
G'day folks,
I've been away for a while, but I've been busy both at work and in the brewery!

I've been brewing beers that are a touch left of centre! First cab off the rank is Steamfest. Basically it's an Oktoberfest grainbill, brewed using California Common / Steam lager yeast at room temperature.

I love my Oktoberfest recipe (sorry, too smashed to be modest :p ) but I don't always have the room or inclination to muck about with my standard lager strains and temperature controlled fermentation methods so I thought - why not make the oktoberfest and ferment it out with some Wyeast 2112 at 18C?

So I have - and I kegged it last night. Samples suggest that it's obviously quite green and it lacks the clear malty grainy flavours that I enjoy in a well lagered Okkie. And that's actually a good sign! It normally takes several weeks out of primary before it gets close to the ideal amber lager style that I know and love.

So, I'll report back soon when I've tapped the keg and poured a glass...or two! :chug:

I'll post the recipe off Promash soon.

Next up is a Sierra Nevada Dortmunder! :blink: :D

Cheers,
TL

Good to see you back here TL.

Barry uses 2112/WLP810 in every lager and says it works quite well in malty styles, so you're in good company there.

Now, a Sierra Nevada Dortmunder? Sounds interesting, what would that be, a Dortmunder with Chico yeast or a Sierra Nevada clone done with Danish lager yeast and hard water?

I've only brewed one cali common and while we're all being modest here I thought it was a fantastic, also quite comparable to Anchor Steam in a side by side BJCP tasting (again, while we're all being modest here). However, after a month or two in the fridge it lost everything and became a fairly good dunkel. I think your steamfest will work out marvellously.

Cali common would have to be one of my fave styles.

cheers

Darren

Scotty's SteamBeer recipe ...here... is awesome - do yourself a favor and brew it!

Smooth, silky, rich.....mmmmmmm :p

Love this beer style and as mentioned great for creating un temperature controlled lagers.
I have a smack pack of 2112 that's just beginning to swell and should keep me in full steam for a couple of months.

:beerbang:
- Luke

Latest posts

Back