Steam Steriliser - For Baby Bottles Etc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rendo

WTF
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Another bit of acquired gear that has come my way (as pictured below). An Avent Steam Steriliser that is used for baby bottles etc. I thought this might be handy for brew day and bottling day when there are little bits here and there that you want to be sanitary. Eg fermenter taps, spoons, bottling wand, airlocks, bungs, cups and stuff that fit in the 'steamer'.

I tried searching for previous discussions but wasnt getting much. However I think my browser is going loopy (or it could be me).

Anyone got some thoughts? I am wondering if this thing will actually sterilise items and not just sanitise them? Anyway, I am sure it cant be a bad thing, just another piece of junk equipment that I probably really dont need. Its a wonderful obsession.

Rendo

avent_steam.jpg

Hi Guys,

Another bit of acquired gear that has come my way (as pictured below). An Avent Steam Steriliser that is used for baby bottles etc. I thought this might be handy for brew day and bottling day when there are little bits here and there that you want to be sanitary. Eg fermenter taps, spoons, bottling wand, airlocks, bungs, cups and stuff that fit in the 'steamer'.

I tried searching for previous discussions but wasnt getting much. However I think my browser is going loopy (or it could be me).

Anyone got some thoughts? I am wondering if this thing will actually sterilise items and not just sanitise them? Anyway, I am sure it cant be a bad thing, just another piece of junk equipment that I probably really dont need. Its a wonderful obsession.

Rendo

Gotta hand it to you for trying some new methods. I can't see anything wrong with using sterile equipment as opposed to sanitised.

I reckon its gotta be a goer. I have used these for our first child's bottles etc and its steams the **** outta whatever you put in the thing, so it should be good piece of mind on brew day that all the little odd bits that I use are pretty close to sterilised or at least sanitised (assuming I have cleaned any gunk/crud off beforehand, which i always do)

Always paranoid about a tap infection. I clean those suckers to they are shiny now. Im sure I was heading for an infected batch. Read about breaking taps apart here and went straight to the garage/brauhaus got my taps and wow...all this gunk in them. Never again.

My next brew (no idea what yet...another lager methinks...maybe a czech pils) I am about to use vaseline for the first time on the tap (a really tiny tiny tiny amount) to keep it turning nicely, cause they get so stiff after breaking them apart and cleaning them. Vaseline makes em turn like glass.....noice!

Anyway....cant believe I am going to use a baby bottle sterliser for brewing...hahaha...I love it

Rendo

Gotta hand it to you for trying some new methods. I can't see anything wrong with using sterile equipment as opposed to sanitised.

I am about to use vaseline for the first time on the tap (a really tiny tiny tiny amount) to keep it turning nicely, cause they get so stiff after breaking them apart and cleaning them. Vaseline makes em turn like glass.....noice!
OH...MY.....GOD!!!!!

I have been using my coopers fermenter as a HLT with an element (BUCKET OF DEATH :beerbang: ) and fly sparging. Its been good but the main pain in the arse is adjusting the plastic piece of shit tap..... VASO!!!!!!! I HAVE to use it next time now.

....cant believe I am going to use a baby bottle sterliser for brewing...hahaha...I love it
baby bottle steriliser, syringe for priming... whats next?

HAHAHA

Yeah man, vaso!! Just use the most tiny amount possible to lightly coat the tap and whammo, dont overdo it. Give it a trial run, just do it now, go get a tap, stiff as all ****, break it, vaso it, put it back together and you will wet your pants. (well maybe not) but you will be excited.

i did HEAPS of research on the various lubes out there and kept coming back to vaso, good ol white petroleum jelly, its a water repellant, non-toxic, so I figure it should repel the water from getting in between the tap....Not sure what the vaso will do at the temps you will get in your bucket o' death (haha CRAZY!) but its worth a go.....You can get keg lube from the LHBS, that should be pretty good too dude. One tube will last a lifetime i hear, but I went budget and am going with vaso, if it doesnt work, then keg lube it is.

What next?? hmmmm...maybe using a hills hoist to get some sort of centrifugal filtering action going on just before bottling? MAYBE?it would have to have some merit for sure. Imagine the fun in that

Rendo

OH...MY.....GOD!!!!!

I have been using my coopers fermenter as a HLT with an element (BUCKET OF DEATH :beerbang: ) and fly sparging. Its been good but the main pain in the arse is adjusting the plastic piece of shit tap..... VASO!!!!!!! I HAVE to use it next time now.

baby bottle steriliser, syringe for priming... whats next?

Anyone got some thoughts? I am wondering if this thing will actually sterilise items and not just sanitise them?
It might be useful to prepare slants/plates and other bits and pieces if you were preparing to culture some yeast.
However, it does not look like its pressurised, so I doubt it would sterilise the way an autoclave works, since that uses both heat and pressure.
But if you don't have an autoclave or pressure cooker, it does look easier and neater than the 'pot on stove with phonebooks ontop' that I use - but I don't think it would work any better. ;)

Rendo - the steamer will kill anything after 5 mins in the microwave. Believe me you wont be able to touch it to take it out of the microwave. Ive used my kids steamer for years. Just last night I steam cleaned 5 white lab vials to store some Belgian yeast slurry that I was kegging. Go for it.
Cheers
Steve

It might be useful to prepare slants/plates and other bits and pieces if you were preparing to culture some yeast.
However, it does not look like its pressurised, so I doubt it would sterilise the way an autoclave works, since that uses both heat and pressure.
But if you don't have an autoclave or pressure cooker, it does look easier and neater than the 'pot on stove with phonebooks ontop' that I use - but I don't think it would work any better. ;)
It's not an autoclave, there is a vent on the lid to let some of the steam escape.

I have one (for my 8 month old twins) and was planning to use it for sterilising vials if I ever get around to slanting. We also use it to sterilise jars when jarring food.

I don't think that they truly sterilise because it's not under pressure and the sterilisation cycle only runs for about 6 minutes, but it will be more than good enough.

Hi Guys,

Rendo

Go for it!

I use a commercial coffee machine's steam wand to sterilize all my bottles before use, and I've been trying to figure a way to use it to sterilize all the small stuff in a simple way, but so far I've not had much luck, I might just ask my sister (who's bub is well off of bottles now) about one of them gizmos. Not that I have much to go into bottles now that I've started to keg.....

I have been using something similar to this for years on my conical fermenter and kegs. Dead set certainty on sterilization, pressure and steam. A cheap investment in a brewery.

Avoids chemicals (even though I still use starsan on plastic fermenters & carboys).

Hey Rendo,

I have exactly the same steriliser as you got. I have used it for my last few brews, it comes in very handy. In case you use the Bunnings fermenters, they fit exactly into the steriliser up side down, you get a good enough seal. I usually keep the tap closed for the first 15 or so minutes and then open it to let the steam escape that way (Linky). Obviously all this after thoroughly cleaning your equipment.

I have also used it to sterilise a fridge which was carrying infected bottles (linky). First cleaned and starsaned, then put the steriliser in with a heap of water (without the lid, obviously) and closed the fridge door. I repeated this a few times until the condensed water came out of the fridge door. I then Starsaned again.

And as you say, it's perfect for small stuff like bottler, taps, can openers, etc.

Goofinder, it steams longer than 6 minutes, it steams as long as there is water in there. The heating element stops when it runs dry. So the more water, the more steam. But don't overdo it.

Wolfy, I reckon a combination of the steam steriliser and your method would be good. Cover the steriliser, tape up the the steam vent and put some phone books on top. It's still not really pressurised, but should work OK.

Thinking right now, a regular steamer for cooking vegetables and meats should do the trick too, maybe not as good as the bottle steriliser.

I've been using a similar sterilizer for preparing slants and cleaning taps. It's not as good as an autoclave, but they're damn close.

Just don't try preparing PET bottle in there - unless you're aiming to package in miniature bottles :)

Also, on the vasoline front. You can buy food grade lubricants for exactly this job. Vas won't kill you, but I prefer to use the "good" stuff.

Andy

I use the exact same sterilizer to sterilize my specimen jars that I store my yeast samples in.

Works a treat. :D

Goofinder, it steams longer than 6 minutes, it steams as long as there is water in there. The heating element stops when it runs dry. So the more water, the more steam. But don't overdo it.
No it doesn't. Well mine doesn't at least, because it's the electronic version that has a timer.

I still don't understand how they claim that it stays sterile for 6 hours after it's finished if there is a vent in the top to let air back in... but it's more than good enough for brewing (and feeding babies) purposes.

Hi FraserJ, Florian and all....I have said it before....will say it again...I love this forum. AMAZING

FJ,
That is COOL...I am going to get myself one of those steamers one day. I have always wanted one, maybe fathers day pressie or something. Anyway, no rush. Thanks for sharing

I have been using something similar to this for years on my conical fermenter and kegs. Dead set certainty on sterilization, pressure and steam. A cheap investment in a brewery.
Avoids chemicals (even though I still use starsan on plastic fermenters & carboys).

Florian.....you are an ideas man....BRILLIANT...I would have NEVER thought of putting the fermenter on the steamer upside down. At first I thought you had been sniffing petrol or something, then I visualised what you meant and I could see the brilliance. I love it. Guess what I am trying tomorrow!! hahaha.

Thanks All....this is great stuff.....As soon as I saw the steamer I thought....that had got to be useful for brewing somehow or other....

Rendo

Hey Rendo,

I have exactly the same steriliser as you got. I have used it for my last few brews, it comes in very handy. In case you use the Bunnings fermenters, they fit exactly into the steriliser up side down, you get a good enough seal. I usually keep the tap closed for the first 15 or so minutes and then open it to let the steam escape that way (Linky). Obviously all this after thoroughly cleaning your equipment.

I have also used it to sterilise a fridge which was carrying infected bottles (linky). First cleaned and starsaned, then put the steriliser in with a heap of water (without the lid, obviously) and closed the fridge door. I repeated this a few times until the condensed water came out of the fridge door. I then Starsaned again.

And as you say, it's perfect for small stuff like bottler, taps, can openers, etc.

Wolfy, I reckon a combination of the steam steriliser and your method would be good. Cover the steriliser, tape up the the steam vent and put some phone books on top. It's still not really pressurised, but should work OK.

Thinking right now, a regular steamer for cooking vegetables and meats should do the trick too, maybe not as good as the bottle steriliser.

Latest posts

Back