stc-1000 temp question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyg8

Reaction score
hey Ive got a stc-1000 hardwired in my chest freezer and have the temp probe sitting in a 600ml bottle of water to try to differentiate between liquid temp and air temp. I set the temp to 2deg as I like a cold beer
but when I pour a beer and drink it it doesnt taste as cold as I would have thought

So I placed my portable stc-1000 and placed the temp probe in and it read as 2.4deg. I poured a beer and placed the temp probe in and it was at 5deg now this could be because I used a room temp glass or would it not have that big of a difference?

I guess my question is should I offset my hard wired stc-1000 by 2-3 degs so it is alot colder? I just dont want to freeze the beer

Strap the probe to a keg.

Beer freezes below zero

if i strap it to the keg will it not be prone to the air temp? Or should I place a bit of stubbie holder over the prob?

I do the temp probe in the glass of water thing, is the probe only in the water, or touching the glass.

Remember the temps will always be the same, it's just the rate they cool and heat that's different because of the differences in volume.

Maybe offset to just above freezing and check, but remember the temp difference in the glass u drink from, tap and lines will all affect it.

How long have your beers been in the fridge. And what type of bottle.

There wiil be a lag time between your amb fridge temp and your water temp as the water will be slow to change temp.

Umm not sure if it's touching the plastic... If I use a ice cold glass it ain't bad... Just think if I offset it 2 deg it should be where I want it

Just remember though, If u take it that low your making the gamble of freezing, without air circulation in your freezer/keezer certain parts will be cooler than others, and at that temp it may be the difference between -2 and +2*c.

mattyg8 said:
I have a 80mm pc fan pushing the top air down
Well ya should be pretty sweet then. See how u go.

But Off Topic as a general rule, the worse the beer, the colder u gotta drink it :) All VB drinkers will confirm this.

I have my stc probe just dangling in the back left corner of my keezer. Have it set to turn on at 3 degrees and off at 2. My beer is always at a very drinkable temp and I have no desire to change it.

As Shane says, if I was putting vb in it, I'd drop the temp (ex vb drinker here)

haha yeh i have heard that...just like a cold beer...ive changed it down a degree so ill see how it goes

Latest posts

Back