Stc 1000 In Pictures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kaiser Soze said:
JakeSm - You have it correct in your post, and you can see it in breakbeers picture... the STC-1000 has a male part of an extension cord that plugs into the wall socket (black cord in the picture). It also has a female part of an extension lead (white cord in the picture) that the fridge's power cord plugs into. Finally, it has a temperature probe that measures the temp within the fridge.

When the temp gets above a set point, it allows power to flow to the fridge and the fridge starts to cool. When the temp falls below the set point, the power is cut to the fridge.

Not a silly question at all, just much easier to understand when you see it in operation.
Ill prob get an electrician to do mine but im just curious.

There are two female cords in breakbeers pic. Which one does the freezer plug into...

post-24702-1344067189.jpg

Doug2232 said:
Ill prob get an electrician to do mine but im just curious.

There are two female cords in breakbeers pic. Which one does the freezer plug into...

post-24702-1344067189.jpg
One is for the fridge and one is for some form of heating.

The STC1000 will switch between cooling and heating automatically.

Note on the STC1000 wiring diagram there is a heating and a cooling relay. One of those female plugs is wired for heating, the other for cooling. The fridge plugs into the one wired to the cooling relay.

gap said:
One is for the fridge and one is for some form of heating.

The STC1000 will switch between cooling and heating automatically.
I put a short length of red or blue heatshrink on the cord just behind the plug to colour code mine.

Wolfy said:
I thought that not only did the sparky have to be qualified, but also that they unit had to have the 'electrical approved' sticker on it in order to be sold. I presume that adds a deal of complexity and cost.

KegKing also sell pre-wired units @ about $70, at a guess I'd suspect theirs are wired in China.
I'm a bit late with this reply but my local home brew bloke told me the KegKing units are now out of stock because they've proven to be dodgy and they can't (or won't) obtain any more.

buckerooni said:
hi all, I followed the wiring diagram from here: http://s905.photobucket.com/user/carlajefferies/media/stc1000.png.html

but my power cable didn't come with an earth pin/wire. I've wired the 2 earths from the heat/cool plugs together.

since reading up higher on the thread that fridges are earthed, will this be a problem? How about for heating using a reptile heat cord?

here's my wiring:

Definitely a problem. If you get a short in your fridge, and then touch it, you'll be dead.

If you're not 100% with wiring it up, get someone who is to do it for you. Electricity is dangerous and its not worth your life.

thanks for the feedback fellas. cut one off an old belt sander only to discover 2 wires! Got another one lined up however.

Quick question, so I went to Jaycar as I'm wiring up another STC. They didn't have any 10 amp terminal blocks but he gave me another (either 20 or 30) can't remember.......either way he said it's fine. Just wanting to double check if anyone can confirm this for me?

Cheers

citizensnips said:
Quick question, so I went to Jaycar as I'm wiring up another STC. They didn't have any 10 amp terminal blocks but he gave me another (either 20 or 30) can't remember.......either way he said it's fine. Just wanting to double check if anyone can confirm this for me?

Cheers
as long as it handles more than 10A then any terminal block will be fine... its essentially just a much neater way compared to some of those you see where the wires are just twisted & electrical taped ;)

hotchilli said:
This is the way I went. I also wired in a red light next to the heat plug and green next to the cool plug to indicate a live socket. Also jaycar components.

I used a plug for the temperature probe too.

I'll post pics of the box in the morning.

Made some rookie errors in where holes went in the box. But live and learn. This will be back up as I ordered the hackable one from Ali to make the STC 1000+ in a dual probe configuration.

Is there a difference between BP connectors and terminal blocks?

I accidentally put one hole saw hole in the wrong place when installing the 240V plugs.

To fix this I got this vivarium air vent off eBay.

I put a small 12 computer fan behind it. Then Velcro tape holding it upright in front of the vent and wired it to the 12 side of the cooling relay. This is just to keep air flow out so dust doesn't go through the holes.

I thought I'd post my fix for this as I'm sure I'm not the only one to make snafus like this.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1449966549.221571.jpg

As you can see, I still need one rubber plug to fill a hole, but at least now fingers can't get into the box.

This topic really helped me out, extremely imforative as I wired up my stc 1000 today.

The sensor probe cable supplied stated 2 mtrs in lenght . The one supplied is only 60 cm.

my question guys is what cable/ wire can I use to extend it's overall lenght.
Thanks in advance

Back