Stc 1000 fridge freezer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronic

Reaction score
Hi all I'm Kane I'm new to brewing. Just had a question about the freezer side of things if I hook up a stc 1000. Does the freezer freeze? My guess is no, but I really hope the answer is yes. It's probley a stupid question. Any help would b appreciated.

Happy brewing

An STC1000 will keep the temperature of the fridge or freezer at whatever you set it at. Essentially it just allows the unit to turn on when the probe says the temperature is hotter than what you have it set at, and then off again once it's come down to your preferred temp.

I gather you are talking about the freezer section of your fridge... in which case, no it won't work as a freezer when your STC is hooked up (assuming that you are running fridge at fermentation temps).

That's wot I thought. Thanks guys. In the process of turning out a fermentation fridge and a kezzer. Might post a couple picks up when I'm done.

So what do people with a split fridge/freezer converted to fermentation fridges use the freezer section for?
What temperature does is sit at? (assuming 18 deg in the fridge part)
Or is it dependant on the type of fridge.

I'm about to get an upright split fridge with freezer section and am interested to know what do do with it.

Cheers,
HardEight

HardEight said:
So what do people with a split fridge/freezer converted to fermentation fridges use the freezer section for?
It's dependant on the external temperature.

For example on a hot summers day, particularly if your fridge is sitting in a garage or shed, your fridge will be working hard to keep your wort at 18C, or even harder at 4C. With the compressor running for long periods of time the freezer section will be frozen.

In cooler weather your compressor wont be running nearly as often to get to your desired temperature so your freezer section will be closer to what is inside the fridge section.

HardEight said:

I'm about to get an upright split fridge with freezer section and am interested to know what do do with it.

Cheers,
HardEight
I use a split fridge as one of my fermentation fridges. In summer while the fridge is maintaining 18degrees the freezer does frost up a bit. I've kept glasses in there in summer before. In winter it doesn't do anything. I pretty much ignore the freezer part now

I usually keep my hops in the freezer section with several bottles of frozen water. As it rarely gets opened, the frozen water bottles tend to keep it pretty bloody cold in there, maybe just above freezing, keeping the freezer cold. Most of the bottles seem to be either completely frozen or at least very, very cold.

I haven't bothered to take a temperature reading, but I would say that provided the door isn't opened too often, it is probably close to freezing in there, may a few degrees above.

I gave those fridges away and got all fridges… FTW

Freezer sections were not used when I had them, I've now got a side by side fridge freezer I use as my kegerator giving me ample freezer room for storing hops/glasses (at least… I had thought it was ample) and room for 4 x 19 cornys, 1 x 9 party keg and enough room to C/C a 30 lt fv

I would imagine your hop storage needs has increased quite dramatically in recent times Yob. You'd need a chest freezer now just for hops wouldn't you? :lol:

Latest posts

Back