Starting A Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gussigan

Reaction score
hey guys, i'm about to start a coopers bavarian lager kit. i went out and got a dried saflager yeast and am just a bit unsure as to what exactly to do.

should i just rehydrate it in some warm water, then add a little bit of sugar to proof it then add it to my wort and put it all in the fridge?

Use 2 sachets, rehydrate as per manufacturer's instructions (~35 deg C cooled boiled water, NO sugar), then pitch it cold into the fermenter. If you are only using 1 sachet, pitch it warm then slowly bring down the temp once the fermentation has started. If you pitch it warm, wait for bubbles then put it in the fridge and it stops fermenting, give the fermenter a gentle rouse to get the yeast working again.

so using one sachet just pitch it straight into the wort? or still rehydrate?

I'd use 2 satchets if you are going to ferment at ~12C. You don't want to risk a lack lustre fermentation.

cool i might go and grab another sachet of the 34/70 before i start tomorrow

I used 34/70 on my current lager i just bottled.

I just sprinkled it across the top of the wort then stirred it through when the wort was around 22 then threw it straight in the fridge and set it on 12deg.

It was fizzing in 20 mins, and finished brewing in 2 weeks.

Best advice given already is to wait for the bubbling to start, then throw it in the fridge. Or go by the onlin instructions and sprinkle on top then stir after it starts...

1 pack if u pitch @ around 20 etc, and 2 packs (11.5g x 2) if u pitch @ 12.

Latest posts

Back