Starsan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harry72

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well i have been using the Brewcraft no-rinse sanitiser for my first 4 brews on the bottles and fermenter, etc and i've managed to get my hands on a bottle of Starsan. From what i understand this is still a no-rinse steriliser and it will go a lot further thus allowing me more money to spend on beer! Can it be used in cold as well as hot water? Any other tips anyone has for using this product?

Cheers,
Hazwald

Hello all,

Well i have been using the Brewcraft no-rinse sanitiser for my first 4 brews on the bottles and fermenter, etc and i've managed to get my hands on a bottle of Starsan. From what i understand this is still a no-rinse steriliser and it will go a lot further thus allowing me more money to spend on beer! Can it be used in cold as well as hot water? Any other tips anyone has for using this product?

Cheers,
Hazwald

It's the best product in the world for the brewer. I use it exclusively and it workd great in cold water.

It's the best product in the world for the brewer. I use it exclusively and it workd great in cold water.

It is a sanitizer only so you can mix it with cold tap water or room temp distilled water. If you are planning on reusing it you can spend the extra for the distilled. If you dont care then tap should be fine as long as it is normal good tap water with out lots of alkalinity or minerals. I use tap water that compares to what most of you have.

You know it is still good if it is clear.

It is awesome stuff and I keep a bit in a spray bottle for all sorts of things. Dont worry about the foam if you are using it in a fermentor, or the bottle. I try and let the foam drain out of other things.

A. It doesn't sterilise, it sanitises, which is good enough for the homebrewer
B. I'd like to know if it's good in hot water as well, as I pour a litre or so of cold water into a keg after I PBW (which I use in very hot water), so it's at room temp at least. Be good If I could skip this step

So to sanitise my 30l fermenter if i use 10l of cold water with 15ml of starsan that should be ok?

I only use it to keep peteoz77 amused when hes round watching me brew! Well he did give me it so I have to look like im using it :lol: Apparently its the ducks guts.
Cheers
Steve

So to sanitise my 30l fermenter if i use 10l of cold water with 15ml of starsan that should be ok?

You dont need 10litres of water to sanitise your fermenter...only a litre or two.

15ml makes 2.5 gallons of sanitiser. Mix it up, and either spray a bit into the fermenter, or dump a bunch in, swirl it around and dump it back into the holding vessel for future use.

Hey Steve, have you had an infection since you started using it? Didn't think so ;)

I think the bottle I got is gonna last me about 10 years. I add about 0.8 mL to a 500mL spray bottle, slowly top up with tap water (very slowly otherwise it foams everywhere), and that's usually more than enough for one whole brew, including brew day and bottling day. I just make sure every surface that contacts the wort/beer gets a good spray. Never had an infection :)

I find it crazy that such huge dilution rates still result in something useful.

Back