Star San

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have just bought some starsan and cannot find any mention anywhere on wether I should be using pre boiled water when I mix up a batch. Is it necessary to use boiled water?

As Mardoo, nope.
It's a sanitizing agent, so it'd be pretty useless if it couldn't even sanitize it's own diluting solution [emoji1]

However, having said that, I believe some water sources that are hard (ie: high in minerals) can be less than ideal as the minerals "consume" the acids in the starsan.
Similarly, alkaline water can neutralize the acids. Generally Aussie water (read: eastern seaboard) is not sufficiently alkaline (or hard) to be a major issue, maybe just add a whisker more starsan syrup to counter the base.

I think of more benefit (to us in AU, and other countries that use the Metric system) would be a calc that tells you how many fl oz per litre, given that the measure on the side of the bottle is in fl oz, but we're using (probably) litres of water to add it to.

Latest posts

Back