Stainless V Copper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAD

Reaction score
I am looking to build a heat transfer coil and am wondering which would be better stainless or copper. It will be used for heating not cooling. Also where would it be better to put the temp sensor for my digital heat controler in the heating pot with the heating coil in it or in the actual mash tun?
thanks anthony

Copper is a better metal for heat transfer and is softer so it is easier to work with. But Stainless has its advantages too...

I am looking to build a heat transfer coil and am wondering which would be better stainless or copper. It will be used for heating not cooling. Also where would it be better to put the temp sensor for my digital heat controler in the heating pot with the heating coil in it or in the actual mash tun?
thanks anthony
Are you making a herms system ? There is a herms thread in the all grain section... On the iPhone so can't link it for you easily... But do a google search for it ! Most reckon the best place for the sensor is in the wort return from the heat exchange...
Cheers
Ferg

In my experience copper is defiantly the easier option.

I'm working on getting some 1/2inch annealed stainless coiled up for a HERMS and it is proving difficult. Most places don't work with the small diameter. Unless you have some decent tools I think its too hard to coil yourself.

If i was to do it again, I think i'd save myself the pain in the arse and get a HERMS off stainlessstuff.net

I'm working on getting some 1/2inch annealed stainless coiled up for a HERMS and it is proving difficult.

shouldn't be that hard FD, are you sure it's annealed ?
I recently coiled up some 19mm copper for a pre-chiller seen here Chillzilla

back to OP, there is a good HERMS thread here http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...10&hl=HERMS

i would be using copper, i think the general size seems to be about 6 metres of 12.7mm coiled into a medium size pot, could be wrong though..

if i don't get the results from the 19mm copper pre-chiller that i linked to above, i'll be trimming it down for a HERMS coil.

cheers

Copper is the go, much better at transfering heat, easier to bend, easier to obtain. and easier to solder

Stainless is hard to bend without kinking or breaking. You will need to get someone with the tools to do it, and there are not many of the about.

Also stainless tube can have issues with cracking when subject to heating and cooling ( or so I have been told )

Thanks guys for the the info your right copper is the easyiest and i think its a herms set up need to do some more research.

Back