Stainless Tube For Heat Exchangers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unrealeous

Beer Warrior
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to find/build a coiled stainless heat exchanger - I can find a number of places that sell the tube in straight lengths (eg Atlas Stainless), but they won't do any processing on it - and I haven't had any experience in trying to coil it myself. I've built one with copper - too easy. I imagine stainless could be a whole different story though.

Anyone know a good place to source one - or advice on how to build it.

Its going into my Herms system.

Cheers
Tim

Hi,

I'm trying to find/build a coiled stainless heat exchanger - I can find a number of places that sell the tube in straight lengths (eg Atlas Stainless), but they won't do any processing on it - and I haven't had any experience in trying to coil it myself. I've built one with copper - too easy. I imagine stainless could be a whole different story though.

Cheers
Tim

Sorry if this is a slight bit off topic, however if you have built one with copper in the past, what is your reason to build one with stainless this time around?
I originally looked at stainless for the sake of being able to clean it with harsher chemicals and after reading through a few threads I was swayed to copper due to the increased thermal conductivity as well as the fact that I can easily form a coil with copper.

Thanks

Roller

Sorry if this is a slight bit off topic, however if you have built one with copper in the past, what is your reason to build one with stainless this time around?
I originally looked at stainless for the sake of being able to clean it with harsher chemicals and after reading through a few threads I was swayed to copper due to the increased thermal conductivity as well as the fact that I can easily form a coil with copper.

Thanks

Roller
This is the first time round for the herms heat exchanger. I'm trying to steer clear of having any wort contact with copper. Personal preference I guess.

Hi,

Cheers
Tim
Do a search on jockey boxes (the older beer cooling devices) they use very thin stainless coils that conduct well. I use one in my system and do 46 litre batches.

What most people dont realise is that to achieve good temperature stability and ramping when HERMS brewing, is that it has more to do with the flow rate through your grain bed than exceptional conductivity.

Do a search on jockey boxes (the older beer cooling devices) they use very thin stainless coils that conduct well. I use one in my system and do 46 litre batches.

What most people dont realise is that to achieve good temperature stability and ramping when HERMS brewing, is that it has more to do with the flow rate through your grain bed than exceptional conductivity.
Thanks Gregs - that's what I was after. Jocky box... you learn something new every day.

If you ask the stainless suppliers specifically for annealed stainless tube, it's not a lot harder to bend than copper. I did all the hard plumbing in my brewery with annealed ss tube, and bent it all with a cheap set of half inch benders from Bunnings. The bend quality was really good and that radius is a lot tighter than you will be making your coils...

Hi unrealeous,

I can get hold of some second hand 12mm SS coils if your interested, there are two sizes one with about 7m in it and the other with about 9m. the tube is 0.8mm thick so heat transfer isn't a problem. If your interested i can find out the exact diameter and hight of the coil tomorrow. i don't know about postage as they are a bit bulky.
heres a couple of pictures.

IMGP2516.jpgIMGP2517.jpgIMGP2518.jpgIMGP2519.jpg

Hi unrealeous,

I can get hold of some second hand 12mm SS coils if your interested, there are two sizes one with about 7m in it and the other with about 9m. the tube is 0.8mm thick so heat transfer isn't a problem. If your interested i can find out the exact diameter and hight of the coil tomorrow. i don't know about postage as they are a bit bulky.
Bugger - I just bought 16 meters of coiled tube off ebay... itchy trigger finger.

Those look nice.

Bugger - I just bought 16 meters of coiled tube off ebay... itchy trigger finger.

Those look nice.

No problem mate,
16m SS coil, what did that cost,if you don't mind me asking

That's only 1/4" ID tube, I hope I'm proved wrong but I reckon a march pump would have a hard time pumping wort or beer though that length tube.

cheers

Browndog

Hi unrealeous,

View attachment 37513View attachment 37514View attachment 37515View attachment 37516

I wouldnt mind one of those for a wort chiller! Any idea what they cost?

Paul

I wouldnt mind one of those for a wort chiller! Any idea what they cost?

Paul

Hi Paul
Ok the coil in the first 2 pictures with the inlet/outlet on the inside.Is 22cm in diameter, 18cm high, 13 coils at about 70mm long per coil works out about 9m long plus the straight piping. Total length from top to bottom is 45cm.

Last 2 pictures with inlet/outlet on out side Is 26cm in diameter,you will have to allow a bigger pot for herms as the pipe runs up the out side 15cm high,11 coils at about 85mm long per coil

Works out just over 9m plus the straight pipe.Total length from top to bottom is 35cm

Both are 12mm SS tube

Price is $60.00ea
I am not sure how many of each i can get hold of, they are second hand but in good condition.

I don't know about freight will have to work it out with post code

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Mal.

Hi Paul
Ok the coil in the first 2 pictures with the inlet/outlet on the inside.Is 22cm in diameter, 18cm high, 13 coils at about 70mm long per coil works out about 9m long plus the straight piping. Total length from top to bottom is 45cm.

Last 2 pictures with inlet/outlet on out side Is 26cm in diameter,you will have to allow a bigger pot for herms as the pipe runs up the out side 15cm high,11 coils at about 85mm long per coil

Works out just over 9m plus the straight pipe.Total length from top to bottom is 35cm

Both are 12mm SS tube

Price is $60.00ea
I am not sure how many of each i can get hold of, they are second hand but in good condition.

Mal.

PM sent, prefer the 7m if possible. <sigh> more brew bling <sigh>

Hi Paul

Both are 12mm SS tube

Price is $60.00ea

Mal.

As per the PM earlier today, I was able to get SWMBO to take measurements of my pot and I will take one of the slimmer ones (9M).

Thanks

Roller

Hi Paul
Is 22cm in diameter, 18cm high, 13 coils at about 70mm long per coil works out about 9m long plus the straight piping. Total length from top to bottom is 45cm.

I'll put my name down for one of these. PM sent!

Hi Paul

yeah me too, i will take one

ps Shit I have started an avalance............and I might miss out

Paul

I think since you started it, you will probably get first dibs at it.

PM sent, prefer the 7m if possible. <sigh> more brew bling <sigh>

:icon_offtopic:
Of all the latest SC brewers on this forum you are going to be the one to watch Thomas what with all your recent buys\takeovers\purchases, etc. ;) :super: :icon_cheers:
Good luck & happy brewing.

TP

Back