Stainless Steel HELP!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm using a 50l keg as my mash tun and drilled a 1/2 inch hole in it to accommodate a dial thermometer but of course I have put the hole in the wrong place. Can you patch stainless steel with anything or should I just jam a bung in it? If it wasn't so embarrassing i'd put a photo up...

You would need to have it welded, but why not just use a 1/2" stainless bolt, couple of washers and a rubber or teflon seal on each. Easy fix and tell people it's meant to be like that.

Batz

"Did you drill 1/2" or clearance for 1/2" BSP?

Batz said:
You would need to have it welded, but why not just use a 1/2" stainless bolt, couple of washers and a rubber or teflon seal on each. Easy fix and tell people it's meant to be like that.

Batz
Cause I'm an idiot Batz, you know how a keg has a bump in it, well i drilled the hole on top of that bump so there is no way to seal it. :blink: the hole is big enough to fit a 1/2 BSP.

you know how a keg has a bump in it, well i drilled the hole on top of that bump so there is no way to seal it. :blink: the hole is big enough to fit a 1/2 BSP.

Looks like it's patch or toss?

A question of economics I'd say or as a last resort (depending how bad it is) try soft copper washers on both sides.

TidalPete said:
Looks like it's patch or toss?

A question of economics I'd say or as a last resort (depending how bad it is) try soft copper washers on both sides.
Agree with Pete, you could botch it but I'll start again.
Lesson #1..better luck next time. ;)

Batz

Here's what I have done!

IMG_2012.jpg

Or there's a guy in Frankston selling 50lt kegs for $55 each.
Or a guy on ebay selling better ones for $75.

Couple of options there, but I'd try a bit of threaded bar/bar stock/stainless washer/20c piece and some Knead It first off.

Hell, I'd even try a wine cork.

tavas said:
Or there's a guy in Frankston selling 50lt kegs for $55 each.
Or a guy on ebay selling better ones for $75.

Couple of options there, but I'd try a bit of threaded bar/bar stock/stainless washer/20c piece and some Knead It first off.

Hell, I'd even try a wine cork.

Thats what I'm thinking Beer God, a silicon bung from Keg King. If that doesn't work then a new one it is!!

Just tig a stainless hex nipple and then put a cap on it.

When your ready you can install a PTI 100 probe for some serious wank.

elcarter said:

Have no idea what that means.....

elcarter said:

Yep, just get a stainless threaded fitting welded in. Cheaper then a new keg and better then weldless fittings

If you haven't got a welder or access to one a bung might work.

post-21635-0-01309300-1404467634_thumb.jpg
keg bung 3.jpg
Make bridge with a piece of flat bar bent and drilled to suit.
Or do the same with a disc of stainless.
post-21635-0-94814700-1404468054_thumb.jpg
keg fix 3.jpg

If its ruined let me know im thinking of getting rid of my keg boiler, has a hole for tap and element. Could be included in the sale if required.

Get some sheet. S/S is best but you could use aluminium or anything, cut two pieces slightly bigger than the hole and shape one to the outside and one to the inside, drill a hole through the center of them for a nut and bolt then give them a smear of fish tank grade silicone and bolt them in place. Easy.

Latest posts

Back