Stainless Steel Fermentor (maybe Conical, Maybe Not) How Much Would Yo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been brewing for 3 years now and in that time have junked 3 "Standard Aussie" 30L fermenters. i.e. the 3 infections I have experienced - no mercy, no quarter :angry: and currently have two 30L, a 25L that has been with me since year dot, and recently acquired a 60L for my double batches. My oldest two fermenters have produced a wall full of pretty frames and gongs and are as sweet and fragrant as their virginal days.

Total cost for the base units was something between $220 and $240 so I'm not complaining too much about the dollar fifty a week :icon_cheers: .

I've been brewing for 3 years now and in that time have junked 3 "Standard Aussie" 30L fermenters. i.e. the 3 infections I have experienced - no mercy, no quarter :angry: and currently have two 30L, a 25L that has been with me since year dot, and recently acquired a 60L for my double batches. My oldest two fermenters have produced a wall full of pretty frames and gongs and are as sweet and fragrant as their virginal days.

Total cost for the base units was something between $220 and $240 so I'm not complaining too much about the dollar fifty a week :icon_cheers: .

I don't follow. :huh:
Are you saying you got SS conical fermenter 'base units' (30L fermenter) for something between $220 and $240? Or are you saying you got some pommy plastic ones that cost you that much and they were worth because they have lasted longer and better than cheap aussie ones?

Edited for clarity.

I don't follow. :huh:
Are you saying you got SS conical fermenter 'base units' (30L fermenter) for something between $220 and $240? Or are you saying you got some pommy plastic ones that cost you that much and they were worth because they have lasted longer and better than cheap aussie ones?

Edited for clarity.

I think he's saying that is how much 7 plastic fermenters (of various sizes) have cost. I gather the assertion is that it's money well spent when compared to paying much more than that amount for a single stainless steel fermenter. I'm sure Bribie will correct me if I've got it wrong.

I would like to own a s/s conical.

I keep half an eye out for a 30L plus thin (diameter) stockpot or similar. That'd do me.
Get a tap welded to drain off slurry and apply clingflim over the top. The everlasting hb fermenter is born.
A sliced up keg would do, but yet to find one just the right size to sit in a fridge.

I prefer the idea of brewing in S/S but can't see the point of a conical inside a fridge in the home environment, unless you're brewing under pressure.
It seems like total overkill. Spend those beans on the environment you ferment in, rather than the actual vessel?

The Sanke-kit-things linked are interesting but I CBF siphoning.

Someone should market a fridge that's been converted to house, and includes, a S/S Conical, that'd be a better 'sell' to the desperate needy.

I guess when it comes down to it I'm not really all that bothered if I make soemthing and it costs me twice as much as if I had bought it. Part of the hobby for me is making the tools to make the beer with little to no concequence to the time or $$ involved - I guess that's why I bought a Mashmaster Mill (MKII) and it sat in my cupboard for a year before I made the (very over engineered 30 x 30 x 2 mm) mill stand and actually used it.

But I do have the benefit of a food equipment engineer (35 years in the industry and counting) Dad and the ability to buy stainless steel through a company that buys over $10,000,000 of the stuff each year.

Sure plastic will do the trick and my 6 trusty fermentors have done me proud, I'm just ready to take the next step. And besides when I can take that first sip from the beer that was milled on a 100% home made mill stand, brewed in custom fabricated equipment and fermented in what is probably going to be as agly as a dogs ass but functional fermentor I can say "Duff man says oh yeah" =)

I think he's saying that is how much 7 plastic fermenters (of various sizes) have cost. I gather the assertion is that it's money well spent when compared to paying much more than that amount for a single stainless steel fermenter. I'm sure Bribie will correct me if I've got it wrong.
I would like to own a s/s conical.

D'oh, that makes sense. I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

I guess when it comes down to it I'm not really all that bothered if I make soemthing and it costs me twice as much as if I had bought it. Part of the hobby for me is making the tools to make the beer with little to no concequence to the time or $$ involved - I guess that's why I bought a Mashmaster Mill (MKII) and it sat in my cupboard for a year before I made the (very over engineered 30 x 30 x 2 mm) mill stand and actually used it.
But I do have the benefit of a food equipment engineer (35 years in the industry and counting) Dad and the ability to buy stainless steel through a company that buys over $10,000,000 of the stuff each year.
Sure plastic will do the trick and my 6 trusty fermentors have done me proud, I'm just ready to take the next step. And besides when I can take that first sip from the beer that was milled on a 100% home made mill stand, brewed in custom fabricated equipment and fermented in what is probably going to be as agly as a dogs ass but functional fermentor I can say "Duff man says oh yeah" =)
Too right, making stuff can be fun. Go for it! I can't see it ever being profitable to sell them. Make a few and refine the process for yourself.

Back