Stainless Steel Brew Pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jforjeremy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just purchased a cheap 30l Brew Pot from a local ebay seller. The price almost seemed too good to be true, so I jumped on it despite my better judgment.

After boiling some water for some time just to clear out any nasties I went ahead and did a brew in it. Left it soaking for a few hours and came back to clean it out only to find a black stain leaching out of the dodgy join at the bottom.

Safe to say you get what you pay for and lesson learnt the hard way here haha.

My main question is should I ditch the brew before dry hopping and wasting more ingredients on something that isn't safe to drink?

Cheers! Brew_pot.jpg

Looks like they didnt pickle/passivate the weld on the stainless steel. I would clean it up and pickle/passivate it but I am no welder and have not done it so cannot recommend the best way to do this.

I would think your brew would be fine, I myself wouldnt toss it just try to rectify the problem and then if it happens again I would be contacting the seller I would also notify them of this issue you have before you pickle/passivate it as they may offer you a replacement and not warrant it after you have played around with it.

kelbygreen said:
Looks like they didnt pickle/passivate the weld on the stainless steel. I would clean it up and pickle/passivate it but I am no welder and have not done it so cannot recommend the best way to do this.

I would think your brew would be fine, I myself wouldnt toss it just try to rectify the problem and then if it happens again I would be contacting the seller I would also notify them of this issue you have before you pickle/passivate it as they may offer you a replacement and not warrant it after you have played around with it.
Thanks mate! I might have a dig around the net and see if I can figure out how to rectify it. In the meantime I've contacted the seller so we'll see what they say haha.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back