Stainless Steel Braid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtrabyte

Reaction score
HI guys, my first post. I am getting the parts to put together a mash tun and have a 45 lt chilly bin. I went to the hardware store but could not find any stainless steel braid as used by others in the forum? Does anyone know where I could get some? (I'm in New Zealand by the way, an ex South African :blink: )

I was wondering if I could substitute the stainless steel pipe used to connect the shower head in a shower? I would have to cut into the pipe as done with the copper pipe manifold systems.

Great forum, I have spent a week reading other peoples posts and this has really helped me increase my brewing knowledge. I look forward to being able to do my first all grain brew soon.

Where abouts in NZ are you? I got mine from Mitre 10, but they now only seem to sell the version with the plastic threaded through the braid

Most plumbing stores have the stainless version, otherwise you can get braided auto hose from some repco stores

ps Don't say Chilly Bin on this forum :)

Where abouts in NZ are you? I got mine from Mitre 10, but they now only seem to sell the version with the plastic threaded through the braid

Most plumbing stores have the stainless version, otherwise you can get braided auto hose from some repco stores

ps Don't say Chilly Bin on this forum :)
Thanks Shunty, I live in Napier. I went to the Mitre 10 and as you say they have a different one now. Good idea I will go to repco and have a look. I am not mechanically minded so this task is a bit of a challenge.

The local brew shop is very basic and don't stock grain. I have been buying malt etc from Hauraki Home Brew in Auckland. You are lucky to live in a larger city.

Maybe try a more specific plumbing supplies, if one is near by.?
They have plenty of 'easy hooker' at bunnings here, but i spotted some better grade stuff at the plumbing supply.

Good luck with fitting it in your 'ice box' :p

Maybe try a more specific plumbing supplies, if one is near by.?
They have plenty of 'easy hooker' at bunnings here, but i spotted some better grade stuff at the plumbing supply.

Good luck with fitting it in your 'ice box' :p
OK, I will drive into town and find a plumbing store. We don't have a bunnings here yet. I will post photos of my modified "ice box" once complete!! Thanks again for the help.

Xtrabyte, if you get really stuck put out a call and one of us can post you one over.

I suppose you want to get this tun built fairly quickly though.

All the best.
Scott

G'day Xtrabyte,

Try one of the hydraulic hose repair companies. I got mine from Enzed (I assume NZ based - owned?)
which was just the braid without the core. I found it much easier to use than having to cut off the fittings
and pull out the core.

Cheers,
Phil

mitre tens and placemakers should have braided hoses, they are a standard part used to connect a modern toilet up to the tap at the wall. Don't use a second hand one ;)
They have a socket at either end and a rubber hose through the center. Cut both sockets off and pull the braid off the rubber hose, then bob's your aunties live-in lover.
Crimp one end by folding it over, fit the other end to your outlet pipe with a stainless hose clamp.
I use a 600mm one, get one at least this long I reckon.
By the way the diameter will seem really small, don't worry about it - mine works just fine.

Thanks Shunty, I live in Napier. I went to the Mitre 10 and as you say they have a different one now. Good idea I will go to repco and have a look. I am not mechanically minded so this task is a bit of a challenge.

The local brew shop is very basic and don't stock grain. I have been buying malt etc from Hauraki Home Brew in Auckland. You are lucky to live in a larger city.

You'd be amazed at how crap the store here is, i order most of my stuff from auckland or dunedin

Another place worth trying is placemakers - the one down here still sells the all-stainless version

mitre tens and placemakers should have braided hoses, they are a standard part used to connect a modern toilet up to the tap at the wall. Don't use a second hand one ;)
They have a socket at either end and a rubber hose through the center. Cut both sockets off and pull the braid off the rubber hose, then bob's your aunties live-in lover.
Crimp one end by folding it over, fit the other end to your outlet pipe with a stainless hose clamp.
I use a 600mm one, get one at least this long I reckon.
By the way the diameter will seem really small, don't worry about it - mine works just fine.
Thanks for all the advice and help. I could not find SS Braid I went to a number of places but no luck. I did not think of your idea using the toilet pipe, or Hydraulic pipe, that would work and I should be able to buy it here. I wanted to make my first All Grain brew so I moved on from SS braid to rolled SS mesh.

I made one up using the SS mesh from a cover used over the frying pan to catch spitting fat. My wife never used it, I better replace it anyway. I connected it in using clamps and plastic pipe, as done by others in this forum. I have attached a photo.

After testing I used it to make my first brew. (currently in the fermented starting to bubble) I would like to post my results and the problems I came up against for comment from other members. Should I start a new post in All Grain?

SS_pipe.JPG

Xtrabyte,

That looks like it'll work well. Good luck with your first all grain brew. Don't get to concerned with getting everything right. There's a lot to remember at first.

regards
Scott

I got mine for free from a metal recyclers - I think they came with plumbing scrap and the guys at metal place would need to separate it and throw it away because of all the rubber and plastic.

Just a tip. :)

Latest posts

Back