Stainless Conical Fermentors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As with the Rims, i am looking into the idea of stocking stainless conicals. I know nothing about them though so would be interested in requirements.

Lid, what thickness? How should it seal? Should there be fittings for a blow off etc?
I have a 50L American conical made by Hobby Beverage Equipment Co. and the lid just sits on top. No clamps, no seals, no blow off, no worries. The biggest problem was stopping the chief brewer from lifting the lid for a germ laden peek. I solved that one by fitting a small acrylic window in the lid. It's better than television.

So whats happening with these conicals? Any movement?
Or will they end up at $700+ equalling a dead topic..?

They look like ending up more expensive to do than i thought. There is no point in me importing them in direct competition if i can't do a better quality/price than what's already out there.

The factory has no interest in building a base model without the bells and whistles.

There is a spark of hope on the horizon for a limited quantity, but i'll find out next week.

I'd be interested to see what happens here...
I know that one of the sponsors has a conical that a bloke is having made in china and fininished in the US , in his back room..all he awaits is a price..
I also turned 40 this week and have $1200 to spend on a conical and other stuf......
The old man
F

Info to come. I haven't heard the result of negotiations yet.

Info to come. I haven't heard the result of negotiations yet.

It would be interesting to find out which part of the conical makes it so expensive to produce (I'm guessing the cone). I wonder whether there would bea creative way to design things to reduce that cost.

If it is the cone, then maybe a plain cylindrical fermenter or something with a rounded base like a keg would be much cheaper to produce. I'd certainly be happy with something like that as I'm not really interested in harvesting the yeast so the cone is unnecessary. Just a plain fermenter with a tap in the side.. like the plastic ones only made of stainless.. would be fine for me.

Cheers
Dave

Bumping this as there has been some movement. I have rough pricing for 65l and 100l jacketed and nonjacketed.

They ain't cheap, but those who are interested i can work a price up for.

Limited numbers.
Delivered FOB to seafreight from China.

Interested in pricing for a 65L non-jacketed, however what other specific features do they have?

Bumping this as there has been some movement. I have rough pricing for 65l and 100l jacketed and nonjacketed.

They ain't cheap, but those who are interested i can work a price up for.

Limited numbers.
Delivered FOB to seafreight from China.

I'm interested in the 65L non-jacketed. Depending on pricing.

They will come as they are. They are a cancelled order and already constructed. There will only be a small differencein price between the 100l and 65l (less than $200). I'm still waiting for final figures from China for the crating and delivery to the ship.

Hopefully later today as China closes for 2 weeks for festivals tommorow. B)

They will come as they are. They are a cancelled order and already constructed. There will only be a small differencein price between the 100l and 65l (less than $200). I'm still waiting for final figures from China for the crating and delivery to the ship.

Rrrrrr, Ok mate, sorry, I didnt read every post in the thread, I just figured you were looking at getting them made.

Shaun...

I might be interested in the 65L non jacketed (depending on price).

A mate just dropped me off a 50L empty keg for my birthday. I was thinking of using this for a fermentor.

Has anyone done this before>? I know it is a bit bigger then my 20L batches i do but **** it would be a cool bit of kit...

No, i think you are the first person to ever think of it.

You should start a thread on it allll your own.

Will do i will start looking at it... I was thinking of removing the spear and making that the base of the fermentor. then some angled taps at the bottom to drain off the wort. but i guess i will need a sight glass so i can see the levels in there...

Drop me a pm if you need sightglasses or any other bits, you'll see them in my website.

In the meantime, back to the conical thread......

Latest posts

Back