Stainless Braid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitternacht Brauer

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have aquired some SS braid for various jobs and I am wondering if it filters out the hot break from going into my fermenter from the kettle?

If anyone that uses the braid can enlighten me before I give it a run .

Can only talk from my experience - but from that point of view.

Simply - No

More complexly - If you use whole hops, they will form a filter bed against your braid and that will have a fair shot of filtering out the hot break if you re-circulate for a little while to get it all set.

BUT, if you use pellet hops - it will clog like a ******* and what will come out of your kettle is precisely nothing after the first few litres (which will have hot break in them)

Hopefully other people can tell you a more positive story. But for me - no luck, sorry.

Thirsty

Can only talk from my experience - but from that point of view.

Simply - No
+1

the braid is not fine enough to hold back the hot trub. Im just doing a whirlpool, that works very well.

Thanks guys , I do whirlpool and use a cane to syphon out but it picked up some trub last brew and I was looking for alternatives to go on my tap .

Thanks guys , I do whirlpool and use a cane to syphon out but it picked up some trub last brew and I was looking for alternatives to go on my tap .

It will settle out after fermentation anyway. If its got a decent cake, simply rack again then bottle or direct to keg.

At least that's what i do and haven't had any clarity issues recently.

Cheers.

I have found that anything that is fine enough to filter out the break material will easily block with pellet debris.

I just whirlpool and if any pellet debris, break material or hops from plugs or flowers, gets into the fermenter I simply ignore it.
I do rack to a second fermenter after 7 days to and almost all the break etc has settled to the bottom of the fermenter

Chris

Yep thats what I'm planning for Monday .Rack to keg and drop next brew on top .See how we go .

Back