Ss Tanks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recharge

Reaction score
Now ive done a bit of searching without finding a definative answer.

I have a few stainless tanks i built out of old solar tanks which i was thinking of coverting into an AG setup. one is about 80L and i have 2 spare at about 150L.
I also have a few spare kegs.

So to my question what would be the desired volumes for a kettle hlt and mash tun to brew single and double batches using the same equipment or am i better off making 2 kettles etc.
I can make any of the above bigger and or smaller as well as insulate the tun etc.

Any other ideas would be helpfull.

Regards

Richard

Recharge

My HLT and Mash Tun are both 50L (HERMS) and the kettle is about 70L. With a bit of care my start boil volume is about 58L for a batch size in fermenter of about 47L. I also use 50L (squat euro kegs) for fermenting and find that by the time it's through secondary and conditioning and filtered it comes down to 2 post mix kegs almost spot on.

Regards Derrick

You have to ask yourself the question, "How big is a single or double batch?".
If we are AG brewing then why are we locked into thinking in multiples of 23 litres?
My usual batch sizes are either 2 kegs or 1 keg and 2 cartons, which is all around the same amount of beer anyway.
It is probably best to brew at the biggest capacity as your brewery can handle, from my own experience it all takes roughly the same amount of time regardless of batch size.
Go big!

recharge said:
I have a few stainless tanks i built out of old solar tanks which i was thinking of coverting into an AG setup. one is about 80L and i have 2 spare at about 150L.
I also have a few spare kegs.

So to my question what would be the desired volumes for a kettle hlt and mash tun to brew single and double batches using the same equipment or am i better off making 2 kettles etc.
I can make any of the above bigger and or smaller as well as insulate the tun etc.

Any other ideas would be helpfull.

Regards

Richard
[post="107616"][/post]​

Hi recharge, I am sure we spoke at Vlads brewday is it vintage time soon?

Rough rule of thumb, Mash tun size should equal batch size for fly sparging but if you batch or no sparge then bigger is better.

Kettle should be at least 1.5x or more times larger than batch size.

I brew 25L or 40L batches with a 50L esky mash tun which is slightly too small to batch sparge a 40L batch with (I mash in with 2-3L/kg then add the first sparge addition to the top of the tun) the second sparge fills the tun to the top again and it normally get about 45-47 L of runnings. For fly sparging on 25L batches I have a cheap crappy rectagular esky that works great as it keeps the grain bed quite deep but I hate waiting for a fly sparge so normally just batch sparge in the bigger esky.

HLT size depends on how quickly you can heat your sparge water.

My kettle was a 50L tall keg, I brewed a couple of 40 plus litre batches in it and have brought 48L to the boil but you have to skim the scum and keep a squirt bottle handy to avoid boilovers. A 80L kettle would be a good size, just watch the bottom geometry of the vessel so you don't end up leaving too many litres wort sittingin the trub pile at the bottom. I am presently on the lookout for a bigger kettle so if you havea spare solahart tank around I may be interested in taking it off your hands :)

HTH Ausdb

ausdb yes we did chat at Vlads.
It should be vintage soon. I may be getting freebie shiraz grapes this year still waiting for a definate confirmation. So on the day i will be picking early morning and just crushing all and pressing some(will do a white shiraz as well if i pick enough) on the day so there is not much to see. As im a shift worker it could end up being a week day but if your keen your more than welcome. As for solar tanks i may be able to help you out once i work out what i no longer need.

So im guessing then a 50L for HLT, 50L for mash tun and the 80L for kettle should be spot on. Thats good less cutting and welding etc.

Cheers
:beer:
Richard

Back