Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

SS Conical vs plastic fermenters for kits and extracts

Discussion in 'Kits & Extracts' started by Stokesy, 12/1/19 at 3:40 AM.

1. Stokesy

Posted 12/1/19 at 3:40 AM
    G'day everyone, ive been brewing since august last year and just put my 21st 46L brew down all kits and cans. I was wondering if a stainless conical fermenter is better than the flat bottom plastic fermenters for kits and cans?
    Im thinking of making custom stainless conicals as i believe they are more hygenic and i can make them at my workshop.
    All info would be appreciated

Thanks
    Stokesy

2. malt and barley blues

Posted 12/1/19 at 4:11 AM
    There will be a lot of competition with fermentasaurus, fermzilla and imported s/s conicals can't see it being worthwhile, apart from making your own.

3. Stokesy

Posted 12/1/19 at 4:53 AM
    Im not looking at making them on a large scale, just for my own use and maybe the odd one here or there. Im more interested in the kits and cans in conicals, as from what i read and see they are more for all grain brewing. I may be wrong, but i gotta ask.

4. captnhaddock

Posted 12/1/19 at 3:36 PM
    In my personal opinion, plastic fermenters are just fine for any form of brewing. the primary advantage of conical is that you can draw off the trub / yeast from the bottom and rack clear beer to keg/bottle. re: sanitation, sure in theory you can scratch the plastic, but unless you're a brute, and using wire brushes, it's really not a problem.

awfulknauful likes this.
  5. awfulknauful

Posted 13/1/19 at 3:31 AM
    I use plastic and the Fermentasaurus found them fine, the best thing about the Fermentasaurus is watching the yeast hard at work.