Squires Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discoloop

Reaction score
Hi

I'm about to lay down my next kit brew using a tin of Cascade Imperial Pale. I have a bottle of amarillo hops handy and was thinking I could probably steer it in a direction where it might vaguely approximate a Squires Golden Ale clone. (Well, very vaguely!) I was thinking of the following recipe:

1 tin Cascade Imperial Pale Ale
500g Light Dry Malt
500g Coopers Brew Enhancer2

I was thinking of throwing about a heaped-teaspoon of Amarillo hops pellets into the brew with the fermentables, then dry-hopping with a similar quantity at secondary. Does anyone have any advice on whether that tactic would give the beer a nice, aromatic hoppy finish? Does the amount of hops sound about right? (I don't own scales that will measure such small quantities yet, unfortunately.)

i would be more generous with the hops, try a handfull or two.

a heaped teaspoon will do very little mate. half a cup in primary and/or half a cup in secondary will more closely emulate a JS golden ale

discoloop - if you fill out your location it would make it easier to help.

half a cup in primary and/or half a cup in secondary will more closely emulate a JS golden ale

For real? Of pellets? I was worried that would be overdoing it. I tried boiling a tablespoon of the amarillo (my first "boil", of sorts) and the subsequent brew seems to have come out rather bitter. So I gather more hops are required for the 'aromatic' bit than the bitterness bit (taking alpha acids into account, of course)

If you boil hops you get bitterness out of them. If you just steep them in some warm wort you'll end up with more aroma. I'd go with a couple of tablespoons in the fermentor and the one only in the secondary.

Just thought id bump this as im interested in tying something like this very soon.

Has someone got a K&K recipe that would come close to the taste yet? Im open to doing a partial boil of ingredients, so was wondering how i could get something that tastes like it...?

I would dry hop as well if it helped.

Just thought id bump this as im interested in tying something like this very soon.

Has someone got a K&K recipe that would come close to the taste yet? Im open to doing a partial boil of ingredients, so was wondering how i could get something that tastes like it...?

I would dry hop as well if it helped.

Go get yourself a Brewers Choice Amarillo fresh wort kit.
all I can say is gold gold gold

Franko

I think the actual squires golden uses a mix of wheat and barley malt so I doubt my "clone" will be particularly close, but I went with mika_lika's advice of doing 2tbsp Amarillo in the primary and plan on dry-hopping another tbsp in a few days. With a bit of luck, the final beer (though very different) will have a similar hops-character.

I think the actual squires golden uses a mix of wheat and barley malt so I doubt my "clone" will be particularly close, but I went with mika_lika's advice of doing 2tbsp Amarillo in the primary and plan on dry-hopping another tbsp in a few days. With a bit of luck, the final beer (though very different) will have a similar hops-character.

I'm considering doing something like this quite soon, how did this recipe come out?

i recently put down a K&K which isnt too far off the JSGA.

1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1.5kg pale malt extract (liquid)
15g amarillo at 15mins
15g amarillo at 5mins
15h amarillo (dryhopped at rack).
Kit yeast
20degC

1 week primary, 1 week secondary (dry hopped).

Hadnt actually tasted a JSGA before making this so i went out and bought a 6 pack last weekend. They have he same amarillo flavour/aroma. I am in love with amarillo!

Cheers
DrSmurto

Marmaduke,

Here my take on a recipie that some one posted a couple of months back. IMO it is pretty damn good.

1x Coopers Heritage Lager
1x Morgans Caramalt extract
400g LDME
25g Amarillo pellets 30 min boil
17.5g Amarillo pellets 15 min boil
17.5g Amarillo pellets dry hop
US-56

:chug: mmmm... tasty

thanks guys, I might have to check out this Amarillo stuff, I really do love the JSGA - great as a lager substitute for the ale addicts among us haha

I'm considering doing something like this quite soon, how did this recipe come out?

Having finally tasted my brew, I can honestly say it tastes absolutely nothing like Squires golden. It's a reasonable enough brew in itself, though.

The hops aroma is fantastic, but the amarillo flavour is a bit out of balance with the rest of the beer. The hops flavour is a bit strong - kind of what I imagine it would taste like to suck on an amarillo hops pellet by itself. That said, I don't think the 'over hoppiness' is too overpowering.

Next time I probably wouldn't dry hop.

Give it more time and the hops flavour will mellow out, if your not happy with it now then just leave it and sample a bottle each month till you like it. That is of course if you have something else to drink! if not then drink it now :)

For K'n K I think that the coopers sparkling kit would be far too dark and crystal/sweet.

Personally I'd avoid any of the darker extracts.

The ga is quite thin and on the paler side.

here is a Kit plus bits that should be easy for someone to knock up as a trial and report back.

1x coopers pale ale can of goo(19 IBU)

1kg of Muntons wheat Dry ME(brewcraft sell it)

250 Gms dextrose.

a 90 gm pack of Ammarillo pellets (Craftbrewer)

1x sachet Us 56.

5/7 litres of water in a pot.Heat up and dissolve 500gms of Wheat DME and bring to boil.

Add required quantity of ammarillo to achieve 10 IBU in a 30 min boil(total).

Simmer/low boil for 30 min

add another 25 gms of pellets after 20 mins.

Add another 25 gms of pellets @ 25 min mark.

Turn off heat/remove from flame, add the remaining pellets and disolve can of goo, dextrose and 500 gms of wheat amlt extract and cool.

Add to fermenter,top up to 22/23litres and pitch with US56 yeast.

ferment at 18/20c.

This is just an educated guess based on my memory banks from Kit days.

PM me if you want any more info.

some ones gotta try it and feed back to the forum for experiments sake :blink:

I reckon the above recipe sounds like the goods. I think I might have to "take one for the team" and give it a bash!

I was going to try

2 x 1.5kg cans of Coopers Light Malt extract
200g carapils

Basically with the carapils sit it for half an hour in 700ml of water between 60 and 70. Strain it into the pot (colander, tea towels, whatever), rinse with more hot water then boil along with 0.75kg of extract in 6-8L water for 1 hour.

20g Pride of Ringwood pellets @ 60 minutes
10g Amarillo pellets @ 12 minutes
10g Amarillo pellets @ 2 minutes
5g Amarillo pellets after strikeout

Cool the pot
Strain this into your fermenter.
Throw in the rest of your extract, and water to 23L.
This water should leave your wort at about 25C.
Pitch yeast.

Unsure of yeast as yet, so suggestions are great...

ps thanks to PoMo and Wardhog for help putting that together :)

For K'n K I think that the coopers sparkling kit would be far too dark and crystal/sweet.

Personally I'd avoid any of the darker extracts.

The ga is quite thin and on the paler side.

here is a Kit plus bits that should be easy for someone to knock up as a trial and report back.

1x coopers pale ale can of goo(19 IBU)

1kg of Muntons wheat Dry ME(brewcraft sell it)

250 Gms dextrose.

a 90 gm pack of Ammarillo pellets (Craftbrewer)

1x sachet Us 56.

5/7 litres of water in a pot.Heat up and dissolve 500gms of Wheat DME and bring to boil.

Add required quantity of ammarillo to achieve 10 IBU in a 30 min boil(total).

Simmer/low boil for 30 min

add another 25 gms of pellets after 20 mins.

Add another 25 gms of pellets @ 25 min mark.

Turn off heat/remove from flame, add the remaining pellets and disolve can of goo, dextrose and 500 gms of wheat amlt extract and cool.

Add to fermenter,top up to 22/23litres and pitch with US56 yeast.

ferment at 18/20c.

This is just an educated guess based on my memory banks from Kit days.

PM me if you want any more info.

some ones gotta try it and feed back to the forum for experiments sake :blink:

I'll also give this a go on my next batch, i used US-56 with my current batch, so can i use the yeast cake left over or should i buy a new satchel??

cheers
Gav

A few things you have to remember when dumping onto a yeast cake:

- Ensure that the beer you were brewing isnt vastly different from the new beer, e.g. dont dump a blonde ale on a yeast cake with stout dregs.

- Dont "pitch the wort" at too high of a temperature, aim for dropping the wort on at 16-17C. Fermentation will happen very quickly due to the high yeast activity, and brew temperatures can rise rapidly due to the exothermic nature of fermentation.

- Be prepared to clean up krausen spew off your fermenter or have a blow-off tube ready!

Back