Squires Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll also give this a go on my next batch, i used US-56 with my current batch, so can i use the yeast cake left over or should i buy a new satchel??

cheers
Gav

entirely up to you.
If you do ,make sure that the wort you pitch onto the yeast cake is at least 16 /18c to allow for the heat generated when it lurches into life.Only do it if you can maintain/reign in a temp climb over 20c.It will be a vigorous start.

I will be looking 4ward to feed back from anyone who does try this recipe.

I was going to try

2 x 1.5kg cans of Coopers Light Malt extract
200g carapils

Basically with the carapils sit it for half an hour in 700ml of water between 60 and 70. Strain it into the pot (colander, tea towels, whatever), rinse with more hot water then boil along with 0.75kg of extract in 6-8L water for 1 hour.
20g Pride of Ringwood pellets @ 60 minutes
10g Amarillo pellets @ 12 minutes
10g Amarillo pellets @ 2 minutes
5g Amarillo pellets after strikeout

Cool the pot
Strain this into your fermenter.
Throw in the rest of your extract, and water to 23L.
This water should leave your wort at about 25C.
Pitch yeast.

Unsure of yeast as yet, so suggestions are great...

ps thanks to PoMo and Wardhog for help putting that together :)

Looks good,remember the carapils will need to be cracked.
You could add your amarillo at a rate of 1 gram per litre for all 3 additions to get a good hit of hops

US56 would be my choice @ 18/20c

Looks good,remember the carapils will need to be cracked.
You could add your amarillo at a rate of 1 gram per litre for all 3 additions to get a good hit of hops

US56 would be my choice @ 18/20c

Yerp, ive got an acquaintance making me a roller mill as we speak for my venturing into AG, but for the moment i think either the rolling pin, or mortar/pestle will be the go for the 200g.

thanks for the yeast tip :)

Having finally tasted my brew, I can honestly say it tastes absolutely nothing like Squires golden. It's a reasonable enough brew in itself, though.

The hops aroma is fantastic, but the amarillo flavour is a bit out of balance with the rest of the beer. The hops flavour is a bit strong - kind of what I imagine it would taste like to suck on an amarillo hops pellet by itself. That said, I don't think the 'over hoppiness' is too overpowering.

Next time I probably wouldn't dry hop.

Lucky bugger, I usually get stuff all hop flavour, that's why I half jokingly suggested the tablespoon measurements.
It will mellow out though, I'm trying to find the recipe of the Golden Ale that I did with extract, it was reasonably close and should be in the section here somewhere, will post back with it shortly.

Edit: Found it...and another which looks interesting

Linky

Linky 2

A few things you have to remember when dumping onto a yeast cake:

- Ensure that the beer you were brewing isnt vastly different from the new beer, e.g. dont dump a blonde ale on a yeast cake with stout dregs.

- Dont "pitch the wort" at too high of a temperature, aim for dropping the wort on at 16-17C. Fermentation will happen very quickly due to the high yeast activity, and brew temperatures can rise rapidly due to the exothermic nature of fermentation.

- Be prepared to clean up krausen spew off your fermenter or have a blow-off tube ready!

Adam,
please forgive my lack of knowledge, but whats a blow-off tube?, and can i use dried malt extract and dex or should it all be liquid, or mix the can of wort, some water, and the suger, let it cool to 18c then dump it on the yeast cake?

cheers mate
Gav

Blow off tube is simply a pipe in place of the airlock. You run it into a bucket/jug of water and it bubbles thru that. For reall active ferments it reduces the likelihood of the airlock plugging and turning your fermentor into a pressure cannister.

Dry and liquid, same same (close enough, though I prefer liquid), mix it all together then drop it on the cake.

Blow off tube is simply a pipe in place of the airlock. You run it into a bucket/jug of water and it bubbles thru that. For reall active ferments it reduces the likelihood of the airlock plugging and turning your fermentor into a pressure cannister.

Dry and liquid, same same (close enough, though I prefer liquid), mix it all together then drop it on the cake.

Thanks mate,
got another two weeks till the next batch, but thats all good that i can reuse the yeast

cheers :beer:
Gav

Oooo...2wks is fair while if you're planning on re-using that yeast.
I'd suggest 12hrs is about the most sort of time you want to go from pulling one beer off and throwing another on....maybe even less.

Oooo...2wks is fair while if you're planning on re-using that yeast.
I'd suggest 12hrs is about the most sort of time you want to go from pulling one beer off and throwing another on....maybe even less.

ive just done a batch, i leave that in the fermenter for 2 weeks, and leave the yeast in, i'll get everything ready, bottle and do the next batch at the same time, whatda think?

cheers
Gav

For K'n K I think that the coopers sparkling kit would be far too dark and crystal/sweet.

Personally I'd avoid any of the darker extracts.

The ga is quite thin and on the paler side.

here is a Kit plus bits that should be easy for someone to knock up as a trial and report back.

1x coopers pale ale can of goo(19 IBU)

1kg of Muntons wheat Dry ME(brewcraft sell it)

250 Gms dextrose.

a 90 gm pack of Ammarillo pellets (Craftbrewer)

1x sachet Us 56.

5/7 litres of water in a pot.Heat up and dissolve 500gms of Wheat DME and bring to boil.

Add required quantity of ammarillo to achieve 10 IBU in a 30 min boil(total).

Simmer/low boil for 30 min

add another 25 gms of pellets after 20 mins.

Add another 25 gms of pellets @ 25 min mark.

Turn off heat/remove from flame, add the remaining pellets and disolve can of goo, dextrose and 500 gms of wheat amlt extract and cool.

Add to fermenter,top up to 22/23litres and pitch with US56 yeast.

ferment at 18/20c.

This is just an educated guess based on my memory banks from Kit days.

PM me if you want any more info.

some ones gotta try it and feed back to the forum for experiments sake :blink:

I'm game...<purely in the interests of science mind you>post sent with my queries...

ive just done a batch, i leave that in the fermenter for 2 weeks, and leave the yeast in, i'll get everything ready, bottle and do the next batch at the same time, whatda think?

cheers
Gav

Yep that sounds good.
Should be :chug:

what should i do about cleaning, should i spoon the yeast out the fermenter, clean everything then add it after ive filled the fermenter up and checked temp, or just drain all the beer out and dump all the stuff on top? the next batch will be very close to the one im fermenting at the moment, so i dont think it will affect the finished taste if i use the yeast again.

Gav

You can wash the yeast, search the site or the web, plenty of info out there for it. Otherwise if the colours are pretty close, just drain the current one out and drop the new one in, should be sweet.

You can wash the yeast, search the site or the web, plenty of info out there for it. Otherwise if the colours are pretty close, just drain the current one out and drop the new one in, should be sweet.

yeah the colors will be the same, just wasnt sure about cleaning the fermenter before doing another batch, but i will find out soon enough, thanks mate for the reply

Gav

Ideally you want to disturb the yeast as little as possible.
The fermentor was sterile when you started the other batch and then it's been washed with alcohol for the last two days...not much going to happen in there.
The only thing I'd be concerned about maybe is the tap...mine looks pretty festy after one brew.

hi,
ive just done another batch today roughly following Brauluver's recipe didnt have time to get the exact stuff, my ingredients.........1 can coopers aust. pale ale
1 can coopers liquid wheat malt 1.5kg
200 grams brew enhancer 1
US-56
15 grams amarillo boiled for 15 mins in 1 litre of water
15 grams amarillo dry thrown in fermenter with other stuff
i felt there was a little too much amarillo for me in Brauluver's recipe, OG was 1.048, a little low i would've thought, but anyway what do you guys think, im enjoying a James Squire as i type, cant wait to try this new batch.

Gav

U shouldnt need to boil the 15gms in water for 15 mins. Dry hopping should be enough for that recipe. Og sounds about right.

My final recipe is as follows:

1 x 1.5kg cans of Coopers Light Malt extract
1x can Wheat malt extract
200g carapils

Basically with the carapils sit it for half an hour in 700ml of water between 60 and 70. Strain it into the pot (colander, tea towels, whatever), rinse with more hot water then boil along with 0.75kg of extract in 6-8L water for 1 hour.

15g Pride of Ringwood pellets @ 60 minutes
10g Amarillo pellets @ 12 minutes
10g Amarillo pellets @ 2 minutes
5g Amarillo pellets after strikeout

Cool the pot
Strain this into your fermenter.
Throw in the rest of your extract, and water to 23L.
This water should leave your wort at about 25C.
Pitch Nottingham yeast

Photo-0056.jpg

i felt there was a little too much amarillo for me in Brauluver's recipe,

Yeah that is aimed at the true hop heads and will be up your nose and in your face flava wise!

Drop the 5 min addition and halve it to 1/2 gm per liter for flava and aroma if you are scared!

Latest posts

Back