Spring Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshisgood

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows where you can get cheap spring water on the sunshine coast? I'm doing extract brewing At the moment with a 10 litre boil and were on tank water here and it's too much effort to boil and cool the rest of the wAter for a batch. Is there anywhere you can fill up your own container with springwater? Thanks
Josh

Buy yourself a 25L water cube, drive to the nearest place with town water and fill it up from a tap at the local park or someone's front yard?
Damn sight cheaper than spring water...

or get a 10L- 15L water pack from coles aldi etc. But yeah, fill a container with someone's town water.

why do you HAVE to boil and cool it before using it? There are plenty of brewers that use rainwater or tankwater for their brewing, and not everyone bothers with boiling it first.

Is there are known problem with your water?

All honest questions....

Whilst i usually use tap water to brew with, i have done (very recently) a brew with my tankwater which is coming straight off my roof, and to date, it is probably one of my best brews yet. Moteuka Pilsner, mmmmmmmmmm. Yummy.

No boiling and cooling here. Literally just filled some buckets from my tank and poured it into my HLT. Yes it initially smelt a little funny, but at the end of the day, the finished beer is beautiful.

Those pedantics amongst us who get right into water profiles etc...will probably chime in soon with their opinions and tell you to use some brewing salts, but i haven't bothered with it yet.

To be honest, the only reason i tried it like this first, is because the wife and i want to relocate the water tank to a different location at our house, and i thought, why not put it behind the shed (brewery).
"Better do a brew with it first to see how it goes"... i said to myself.

why do you HAVE to boil and cool it before using it? There are plenty of brewers that use rainwater or tankwater for their brewing, and not everyone bothers with boiling it first.

Is there are known problem with your water?

All honest questions....

Whilst i usually use tap water to brew with, i have done (very recently) a brew with my tankwater which is coming straight off my roof, and to date, it is probably one of my best brews yet. Moteuka Pilsner, mmmmmmmmmm. Yummy.

No boiling and cooling here. Literally just filled some buckets from my tank and poured it into my HLT. Yes it initially smelt a little funny, but at the end of the day, the finished beer is beautiful.

Those pedantics amongst us who get right into water profiles etc...will probably chime in soon with their opinions and tell you to use some brewing salts, but i haven't bothered with it yet.

To be honest, the only reason i tried it like this first, is because the wife and i want to relocate the water tank to a different location at our house, and i thought, why not put it behind the shed (brewery).
"Better do a brew with it first to see how it goes"... i said to myself.
I wasn't worried about it but it seems as though after a few weeks in the bottle my beers start to get a funny bitter unpleasant smell and taste, still need to do some more tasting to see if it's all or just some, my sanitation of bottles and equipment is pretty good I think so I thought maybe it's the water,

Big Nath, by the sounds of it with OP's extract brewing the water goes directly into the fermenter. Often extract brewing with rainwater requires it to be boiled and cooled first but that is a PITA. The reason it is boiled is that is it must be sanitary, however there's plenty that have reported no ill effects and obviously their tanks are clean, but I know of plenty of tanks that just aren't, my own included. I'm an AGer using it but every drop of rainwater is treated by boiling, I wouldn't dream of using it untreated, I do though use tap water as is.

Big Nath, by the sounds of it with OP's extract brewing the water goes directly into the fermenter. Often extract brewing with rainwater requires it to be boiled and cooled first but that is a PITA. The reason it is boiled is that is it must be sanitary, however there's plenty that have reported no ill effects and obviously their tanks are clean, but I know of plenty of tanks that just aren't, my own included. I'm an AGer using it but every drop of rainwater is treated by boiling, I wouldn't dream of using it untreated, I do though use tap water as is.

Of course, OP please accept my apologies for not reading your post correctly. Absolutely you should boil you tankwater and cool it down if your doing kits or extract brewing.

Can't believe i didn't pick that up. I will retreat slowly to the man cave... :icon_cheers:

No sweat BN! :icon_cheers: Back to the :beerbang:

Speaking of water issues guys, I live in Laidley so we copped the flood pretty bad, as we live next to the creek and all. Ever since then, our water tastes terrible!
We are all dehydrated ( have been discussing with others in the area and they agree). So therefore, I have never had so many beers with a funny taste this year.
If it doesn't taste like mud, it full on tastes like chlorine! Have started using the neighbors boiled tank water now to try to resolve the issue. Still waiting for the insurance people to come and flush out the drains, so I hope we don't get too much rain.........

J

Latest posts

Back