Sponges- How Often Do You Replace Them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be a bit shitty, yes :wacko:

Sponge? Whatever for?

No scrub for my fermenters ever. Fill 'em with hot water, a hit of percarbonate and leave for an hour. Rinse, iodophor, ready for wort.

i use a brush from Woolies called the "Bulldog". no sctratch and fits in the palm of your hand.
sponges dont even go in our kitchen sink because of the grubs that live in them.
easy peasy
cheers,dan

I just use the same one over and over until it's hammered. I reckon replacing a sponge every brew is a bit OCD, especially if you use a no-rinse after cleaning.

Same here - I only use sponges for cleaning - I use no-rinse (star san) for sanitizing... I keep the same sponge until it starts looking sad, then I replace it. Never had a problem.

karcher-k297mbplus.jpg

;)

I remember seeing something on TV a couple of years ago about the germs and bugs in sponges, and the recommendation was to zap the sponge for 1 minute on high in the microwave to kill anything in it (I think!). I've tried it with a damp sponge and it gets mighty hot after 30 seconds. But I don't have a lab to see if its worked :p I keep a sponge seperate for cleaning the fermenter, and clean the fermenter spotlessly after draining so that I only have to shake some brewshield around in it and use some no rinse afterwards when I go to use it next. And the sponge gets demoted after a few uses when it starts to discolour. I haven't had any problems yet. Touch wood.

Latest posts

Back