Splitting a batch for experimentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedWonder

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm planning on doing a bit of experimentation to further my understanding of what different ingredients or methods will do, but I don't have the space (or the patience, really) to do full size batches, so I'm planning on splitting up a batch.

I have a few questions for those who may have done this in the past:

-Fermentables: it makes sense to me to do a small volume boil, mix up the kit goop and adjuncts, THEN divide them into the separate FVs. That way they have received the exact same treatment at the boil stage. Is there any sound reasons to do things differently?? Or is there a more efficient way/simpler way to achieve this result?? Should I lay off the crack and just measure out each ingredient separately??

-I'm planning on using some plastic jerry cans in order to fit the two batches in the same brewing fridge. I'm hoping that the jerry cans have a rubber O-ring in their lid, so that I can use 'Ye Olde Glade Wrape Method....e', rather than bother with airlocks. In the off chance that there is no rubber O-ring, is there anything else that has worked for people when they haven't had the rubber O-ring?? Could I just gaff tape the bejesus out of it?? I imagine tying string around the glad wrap may not be the most effective method.

-Yeast. Here's where my brain has gone a little loopy. Should I bother to split a pack of yeast for a half volume ferment? Or should I just pitch a whole pack in each jerry can and hope it's not too much??
If I should split the yeast, I would imagine that it's easier to measure out the yeast while it is still dry, then re-hydrate and pitch.
I imagine that splitting re-hydrated yeast could result in inconsistent numbers of yeast.

Are there any other pit falls I should be losing sleep over??

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

BW

With your gladwrap, just a rubber band will do, you're not trying to seal it air tight, just stop bugs from getting in.

Your method to split sounds ok, mix it all up then divide.

Yeast, I'm normally an advocate of rehydration but if doing what you are planning I'd be tempted to pitch a pack in each dry. I'd also not be too concerned with rehydrating and carefully tipping half in each, depends on how much faffing about you are ok with.

Double up on the crack.

Thanks Yob.

I was leaning towards a pack of yeast for each, simply because it's less faffing about than trying to split a pack (dry or re-hydrated). I'm planning on using US05, so I think I'll just pitch them dry for the first few attempts, then maybe do an experiment with dry pitch versus re-hydrated. That way, I can get an idea of what re-hydrating may do to the end result, but also find out if re-hydrating ends up over pitching in a smaller volume batch like that.

I'll look to increasing my crack intake.

Cheers,

BW

Latest posts

Back