Split Fermentation Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobospy

Reaction score
Hi,

I've done a few kit recipes now and am thinking that I want to move to BIAB next, still got a couple of brews to come before then. The thing is I'm not a huge drinker but like the whole brewing process and trying out new types of beer, at first I was thinking of possibly doing BIAB in a smaller pot and doing lots of different recipes that way but that seems like I'm just upping the amount of work I have to do. I've since moved to the idea of getting myself an urn and trying BIAB in that, the only problem with that is that I am back up to full batches which I don't have the space to store or the ability to get through quickly. Since then I've read an article in BYO which talks about splitting a fermentation into two different types of recipes, had a quick look around on here but couldn't find anything, anyone out there done this? If so have you got the recipes, even just styles and the way in which you get them e.g. different yeasts only, different post boil hopping, different additions, would be good to have an idea of what I can expect to do using this technique, how much variation I can get. Also, as I said, only just moving away from the cans so up until now I have basically picked my recipe by looking at the cans on the shelf and picking what I like :-D

Also should state that although I have to fermenters I only have one fermentation fridge so I can't do two batches with hugely varying fermentation temperature ranges.

Thanks,

Christopher

I regularly split batches and would thoroughly recommend it if you want to increase your variety of beers and get to know yeast and hop variations. Simple things to try are:
- dry hopping vs no dry hopping
- different yeasts. Belgian vs American, for example, is a good one to try, amazing how much Belgian yeast can reduce the flavour/smell of late hops compared to an American yeast.
- no chilling one half of a batch (for a saison or bitter or Belgian for example), then adding your late hops and chilling the rest of the late-hopped beer.
Good for American vs German pale ale, where you'd late hop the American.
As far as recipes go there's lots that will work well. My saison recipe (1/3 pale, 1/3 wheat and 1/3 Munich or Vienna or a combo of the two) has come out pretty nice IMHO as an American pale ale, a 5-month soured beer, a Belgian pale and an ESB all with pretty similar hopping rates but different yeast.

When I only had 1 fridge and doing split batches, the biggest help was going to Officeworks and buying 2 X 12 litre bottles of springwater. These are clear PET and only 225mm in diameter, fit 2 into most fridges.
Also to do 2 at widely different temps, eg a lager and an ale, the lager in the fridge and the ale it a swamp cooler.

Aqua to Go bottle (1).jpg

I'm currently stove top full volume BIABing in a 19L Big W pot and getting about 8-9L into a no chill cube, a 10L jerry can from Bunnings, which I also ferment in.

When I sort out better equipment (ie bigger volume) my plan is to aim for ~25L batches and split it into 3 x 10L jerry cans. I'll be able to do 3 different yeasts per batch no worries. I should also be able to figure out 3 different flavour/aroma hop schedules by adding "10 minute" additions right when the recently boiling wort gets poured into the cubes (and then 3 x dry hopping if desired).

The 10L cubes are so easy to use and move around. They don't seem to go crazy with krausen and blow off (I think due to their shape).

I'd suggest that's exactly the right idea for the OP to consider.

That way the each batch will have same grain bill and bittering hops. but everything else can be different.

I did a split because I had two small ferementers I just did a normal Pale Ale and used S-04 and the other US-05, to test the yeast differences. Really all a split batch is is taking your wort and sticking it into two containers, so you might as well experiment at the same time ... not sure it will save you space however.

Thanks for all the ideas, definitely looking forward to getting into BIAB, probably a bit of a learning curve but that is part of the enjoyment.

From what you have written it sounds like the main areas to look at are yeasts and hops which is good as hopefully this cuts down the complexity a little. How do you guys work out what group of recipes you are going to produce? The article I saw in BYO had a Pilsner and a Belgian Saison.

Probably need to clarify that my one fridge is quiet a large one, complete bargain off of eBay, and I can fit two 30l fermenters in it so brewing space really isn't a problem, just don't really have anywhere to keep all the bottles once I've finished brewing. My main issue is ideas :).

if you have too many full bottles I can help :) !!

With those Aqua To Go bottles I can fit 8 on 2 shelves in my big fridge.

Thanks for the support SKB ;-)

I'll keep looking for recipes I can use and maybe post anything I find on here in case anyone else is interested.

Superstock,
Those water bottles are pretty handy.
I cut the top off one to use as a hopper for my corona mill.
Yet to use one for fermentation.
Presume gladwrap and elastic band over the top will do?
I

Superstock,
Those water bottles are pretty handy.
I cut the bottom off one to use as a hopper for my corona mill.
Yet to use one for fermentation.
Presume gladwrap and elastic band over the top will do?
I

Back