Spiegelau glasses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolkuna

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased a pair
Spiegelau
Tulip glasses from Dans ??
Looking for comments good or bad to use as a Christmas Dinner beer glass

purchased a shit load of them.
they make great gifts. i love the tulip and the ipa glass.
my only down side is they are really fine and I've broken a few.

Don't know about the tulip glasses but I've had a few of their IPA glasses and while they showcase an IPA superbly they're also super fragile . I've broken 2 just washing them.

wereprawn said:
Don't know about the tulip glasses but I've had a few of their IPA glasses and while they showcase an IPA superbly they're also super fragile . I've broken 2 just washing them.
I have a couple of tulips, they are a nice glass but I rarely use them. More likely to use the Dogfish Head (spigelau) IPA or Rogue stout glass.

I'm prone to breaking them as well, so a few years ago I started washing all my beer glasses in the dishwasher with a teaspoon of PBW. No breakages since and they all sparkle nicely. I load them in low-profile commercial dishwashing racks ($10 each off ebay) to make load/unload/carry to the bar nice and easy.

Bought 6 of their IPA glasses for a tidy sum even though they were on special at the time. Broke tham all within 6 months. Bought 6 ikea beer tulips at $2 a pop and (IMO) they're better glasses all round for most beer styles and take far more punishment, although I still manage to break them on a fairly regular basis.

Yob said:
dunno how you guys do it.. Ive not lost a glass in all their variations Ive loaded up on..
Not putting enough RIS in them

Just don't pay the outrageous prices Dans/DJ's etc have on them. I know DJ's will price match, but if you're close to Peters Of Kensington/VIctorias Basement, they have had the best pricing in my experience.
ie
https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_823228/spiegelau-beer-classics-ipa-glasses-twin-pack (Ok, so that's a bit cheaper than I remember...)

vs

http://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/Product/Details/85401/spiegelau-craft-beer-ipa-glass-540ml-set-of-2-made-in-germany

They did have a buy 4, get 6 deal going for $39.00 too, but out of stock as best I can see. PoK not even listing IPA glasses at the moment.

On breakage, sometimes you can't even look at them, mostly broken them washing them. Surprisingly strong when knocked over/off the couch though...

If you're really worried, get these: B Cups

I've picked up some as chrissy gifts for myself and a couple mates - one in particular who seems to be able to smash normal glasses just by thinking about pouring a beer...

Just bought 8 from Peter's of Kensington and bloody love them. Yep they're fine, and break easily but well worth the outlay.

Looks like they're out of the tulip glasses, but they've got a few other styles which would be lovely to drink out of.

Don't buy glasses from Dirty Dan's. They're booze prices are reasonable, however if you want glasses go to a proper retailer.

JD

Yeah I'd prefer drinking out of glass can't stand plastic. I live in Melbourne. Peter's of Kensington looks great but the postage makes Dirty Dans sound reasonable. $29 for two tulip glasses. Unless someone can recommend some where else

Try asking them to price match at Dan's or Myer's. Peters of Kensington and Victoria's Basement are both bricks and mortar stores so others should honour their price match policy with them. Take along a print out.

That was my last score. Really cheap, delivered fast, genuine gear.

I've got the IPA glasses and the Stout glasses. Really like them as glasses but you only have to look at them and they break. One broke by me very gently and accidentally knocking it over on its side. Big crack through it. I like 'em a lot but they're too fragile. Wouldn't buy again.

What about a brandy snifter glass I saw a 6 pack at a home store for $30. Wasn't sure about the shape. They have a very big bowl??

Latest posts

Back