Spent Grains Dog Biscuits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whistlingjack

Dipl. Braumeister VLB, Berlin
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making these.

I tried to search for the recipe, but no luck.

Anyone know a way?

WJ

A quick Google for "Spent Grain Dog Biscuits" pulled up this as the first result. It's a hell of a lot of cooking, but otherwise sounds like a good idea.

A quick Google for "Spent Grain Dog Biscuits" pulled up this as the first result. It's a hell of a lot of cooking, but otherwise sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for that, Chad

I guess I got stymied by the search terms... :rolleyes:

May give it a try.

WJ

WJ,
I made a batch a few months ago for man's best friend the last time this was posted on here.

I squeezed (pressed) all the liquid out of the spent grain (dogs don't seem to mind a little tannins :p ), reduced this on the stove with a couple of oxo cubes of stock while I cleaned up after the day of brewing.
Then mixed into and used pretty much the rest of the listed recipe.
I added more dry ingredients to compensate for the extra reduction liquid and had some old choc malt that went in.
Mix well, spread out flat and bake on some baking paper, cut them up to size and dry overnight in the oven.
The dogs love em and they are worth the effort for you canine friends as they turn out better than the really expensive supermarket type treats.

The plan for next time is to use a stout mash and maybe get a biscuit cutter.

I also found a Healthy Vego dog biscuits recipe that you could just replace some of the flour with spent grain.

- Luke

i thought it was bad for animals to give them spent grain so i havent done anything with it. My dog would love something like that. As i once caught him eating my swelled hop pellets that i through on the garden once out of my hop sock. So a little grain with that and hed be laughing.

As the recipe says, hops can be poisonous for dogs.

Maybe your dog has a tolerance for them.

Spent grains contain proteins and sugars and I saw in my job at the German brewery a farmer come regularly to collect them for his cows. I usually feed them to our hens. I think horses have problems with them though.

WJ

Post back and let us know how you go WJ. Be interested to know if the dog likes them or not too.

Will do, mika_lika...

Next brewday is monday.

We have a Rayburn woodstove, so baking them for a long period is no problem. Just depends if its too hot to fire it up.

WJ

Yep, I made that recipe for dog biscuits years ago. The dog sure did like it.
You really do need to cook them for that long time or make them thin, otherwise the inside doesn't dry out properly and it goes mouldy.

the ex's cat used to eat the spent grist while it was cooling :huh:

Tried this yesterday, just mixed 2 cups spent grain with 2 cups flour, half a cup of peanut paste and an egg.

The dog seems to like them! Not sure if they'll last all that long though as we just baked them and didn't dry them.

I brewed an Altbier today and made up the mix according to the recipe link above. Tastes quite good, just about to light the stove and bake them.

The dog liked the raw mix as well.

If she doesn't eat them, they'll get served to visitors as beer snacks... :p

WJ

Well, they turned out great.

Forget about brewsnacks though, they are real toothbreakers. Dog loves them.

I'll be doing this regularly now.

WJ

I tried feeding the spent grains to my chooks. Not at all interested. The four of them stood round, looked at the grains, looked up and me, looked back at the grains, then walked away. Now I chuck them on the compost heap.

Your chooks sound really fussy, Lady B.

Mine line up at the fence when they smell the mash. They won't move away until the spent grains are cooled and scattered in the coop.

WJ

Gace this a go on Sunday, or rather I gace the spent grain to the missus and she cooked it up. Dog loves it, we've been hiding them around the yard trying to keep him interested/amused while we're at work. Seems to be working.

I seem to remember a story about Guest Lurker's dogs making muesli bars out of his spent grain and depositing them round the back lawn.

GL must have some seriously smart dogs!

I seem to remember a story about Guest Lurker's dogs making muesli bars out of his spent grain and depositing them round the back lawn.

DSC00020.JPG

DSC00021.JPG

Came up a treat!

Latest posts

Back