Spent Grains Dog Biscuits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8-10 hours is a long time for the oven to be on. esp in summer. any better alternatives/suggestions out there?

great idea though, I recon the dog will love it.

I used my wood stove, but I think a food dryer may work.

The ones I made were about 1.5cm thick but with a food dryer, you would have to make them a bit thinner.

WJ

Your chooks sound really fussy, Lady B.

Mine line up at the fence when they smell the mash. They won't move away until the spent grains are cooled and scattered in the coop.

WJ

Tell me about it! Our chooks dive on the spent grain like they haven't been fed for a week, the little fatties.

Don't know if anyone else pointed this out, but unless you want your dog to be unhealthy, don't feed it wheat/grain.

I know dogs can eat a semi-omnivore diet, with the emphasis on "semi", but think about it, in the wild, how would a dog produce such a morsel (let alone farm the grain in the first place)? The human stomach hasn't even evolved to cope with such processed food (that includes beer... :( ), but we choose to eat poorly, your dog deserves to be looked after. Raw meat, a bit of vegetable matter, lots of walks for digestion and happiness and uncooked beef bones to clean their teeth (assuming you have a real dog that can handle beef, if you have a puny dog, you should feed it to mice). The whole argument of dry food being good for vitamin balance is true, but if you feed your dog reasonable quality meat with that slight vegetable input there should be no problem. And dry food doesn't clean teeth, think about eating a pretzel (the dry, bag of chips style ones), do they leave your teeth gleaming?

not sure about that jojai. My family have always fed there dogs all sorts of stuff and theyve always been healthy and fine. In fact Im brewing today and thew next few days and plan to make a massive batch of these for my dog and the folks' dog. Hell I'll be temped to eat them myself. nothing wrong with good natural grain. besides all your Pal etc brands now have their 'Natural' range with grains etc in it. so its perfectly fine for them IMO.

I just finished taking a double batch out of the oven. A rich blend of Carafa Special T2, Crystal and Carapils. piss easy to make. Once the dog figured out they were for him and that he had to chew them (he's only 2yrs old so hasnt grown a full brain yet), he loved them.

I just finished taking a double batch out of the oven. A rich blend of Carafa Special T2, Crystal and Carapils. piss easy to make. Once the dog figured out they were for him and that he had to chew them (he's only 2yrs old so hasnt grown a full brain yet), he loved them.

Any chance of the ingredients/quantities you used there citymorgue? I throw my spent grains on the garden beds, the dog loves it when its dried out (she walked across it last sunday when it was still hot - shouldve seen her move - like one of those people who walk across the bed of hot coals). Anyways I want to try making some biscuits for her. Any other ideas on drying them as im sure the missus will chuck a tanty if I leave the oven on overnight. I was thinking on leaving them on a tray in full sun for a day and then baking them?
Cheers
Steve

I made the biscuits for the first time the other week as treats only, and they love em. Took a while to dry out in the over though, and I store them in the freezer.

Any chance of the ingredients/quantities you used there citymorgue? I throw my spent grains on the garden beds, the dog loves it when its dried out (she walked across it last sunday when it was still hot - shouldve seen her move - like one of those people who walk across the bed of hot coals). Anyways I want to try making some biscuits for her. Any other ideas on drying them as im sure the missus will chuck a tanty if I leave the oven on overnight. I was thinking on leaving them on a tray in full sun for a day and then baking them?
Cheers
Steve
I 5think it was a ouple hndred grams of each. given that my post was a while ago I would have still been doing kits and bits. so max 800g of grain.

i dont think the quantitiues matter. dogs will ewither love them or hate them.

Tell me about it! Our chooks dive on the spent grain like they haven't been fed for a week, the little fatties.

+1 to that

Our chooks love the spent grain and it makes me feel a little better knowing that my waste is saving us money, so in effect making my brew cheaper !

Did a batch of dog biscuits last night, dead easy, used the recipe from BYO magazine.

The dog loves them, we'll give them as treats only, not as normal food.

1 Litre of squeeze dried spent grain.
2 Cups plain flour.
2 Eggs.
1 cup peanut paste.

Blended together with a rubber spatula, then laid out 1/4" thick on glad-bake paper, on a large oven tray.
Run knife across to make 3/4" squares for later breaking apart.
120c oven for an hour, then 1/2 hour at 110c.
Flipped paper / biscuits over in the tray, remove paper.
Another hour at 110c.

Cooled then vacuum sealed into bags with about 15 in each.

Easy Peazy...

Back