Specs for SS drums for 3V HERMS?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker9

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking at buying some 120-150L stainless steel drums through Alibaba to make a 3V HERMS system.

The supplier can produce in 304 or 316 with wall thickness from 0.8 to 1.5mm.

Any suggestions on specs to have them quote on? I am hoping that going with SS drums instead of large, expensive pots will cut down the cost a lot.

Regards
James

Stainless Steel Drum China.jpg

Only thing I can recommend is look local first.... They've gone through the head ache of dealing with the wholesellers (or middle men) to get the specs correct, get support in place etc... You may save some $$ but you can waste alot of time.
If your not going to go to do this as an ongoing thing, I'd say suck it up and take the hit of some $$..

On the other side of the coin, If you enjoy the game of getting specs, dealing with people and don't mind the wait then...
Suggestions>
- Get them on skype
- Remember they deal in USD not AUD
- Don't use suppliers that aren't validated or have at least two years
- Pick a traceable payment method, you may pay more in fees but also means you can try and get it back if it goes tits up
- Get drawings , edit drawings send back.. confirm they understand don't assume they do.
- Get quotes on freight for the whole purchase, the cost of the drums sound good until you ad up all the importing fee's etc.. (I assume this would be by sea)
- If they ship on wooden crate that requires a fumigation cert, don't assume its is real you can be stung at the Australian port (about $300AUD). see if you can get it on a pallet that doesn't require a certificate.
- Get pictures of the pots BEFORE payment
- Try and pay a % on shipment and rest on delivery. (this can be hard with small orders)
- If your building a brewery see if you can find a wholeseller that also sells brewery parts so you can fill up the drums with ball valves, bulkheads etc..

EDIT: Oh another thing, if they're slow at responding or sending quotes i.e. one MAYBE two days.. cut them loose they're only going to give you headaches..

Hmm thats a quick brain dump.. Good luck I'll be interested in your results.

Hmm, might have to hit up that Taree mob
Wouldn't mind grabbing a few 100L seamless drums to see how they go

OOOPS I just saw i said " I have affiliation blah blah"..... that's wrong.

the only affiliation i have with them is i was raised in Taree - don't hold that against me :ph34r:

Sorry if that caused any confusion

Latest posts

Back