Sparkling On Handpump At The Coopers Alehouse

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamt

Too busy (lazy) to brew.
Reaction score
While ordering my meal today I noticed a hand pump sitting in the bar. After enquiring I appears it was just put in and they are still sorting out some problems. There is an old sparkling ale label on the pump so I guess that is what will be served.

Apparently it should be operating next week.

mmmm coopers stout through the hand pump would be awesome!!!

wonder how different the sparkling ale would be compared to the bottled version. would love to try that, or the stout as mentioned. that would be fantastic.
joe

Are we thinking an AMB lunch session? :icon_cheers:

Interesting, i've never had a hand pumped beer before. Will have to head on over when they've got it sorted. Thanks for the info.

Furthermore, the label on the tap did say "AGED Sparkling Ale", though whether it is actually aged rather than just naturally carbonated remains to be seen.

Righto, went there today and the Sparkling Ale handpump was operating, but not the Stout one :(. I had a pint of the sparkling, I think it was about $8... it is apparently aged, according to the the bartender, "in a wooden barrel".

Aroma - Didn't pick up much, mainly fruity, a bit tropical/pear-like

Appearance - REAL murky dark gold. First pour was with a big marshmallow head, but that died down and held about half a centimetre of creamy white head.

Flavour - Straight up I got banana and pear with some definite malt sweetness, followed by yeastiness/breadiness (I'm guessing that was the murk!) and a low-medium bitterness to finish. I did get a little grapeyness as it warmed a little (it was served a little cold for my liking, but wasn't "swill" cold). Sweetness and alcohol in the finish, sweetness is pretty cloying by the end.

Mouthfeel - Low carbonation as expected, no real lingering bitterness but definite alcohol warmth in the finish.

Not a bad drink overall, but I'd rather see them have aged Vintage Ale on the handpump along with the Stout. I think just a schooner of the Sparkling would've gone down better.

Thanks for the tip, I'll drop in and try it as well.

tdh

Nick off Wozza, not for foreign gullets :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

tdh

I have only ever had coopers pale and coopers sparkling on tap - but it wasn't hand pumped.
I have never really been that impressed with the coopers beers on tap.... but out of the bottle is a totally different story - yum!
I would like to try the hand pumped ales and the stout and vintage on tap as well!

While ordering my meal today I noticed a hand pump sitting in the bar. After enquiring I appears it was just put in and they are still sorting out some problems. There is an old sparkling ale label on the pump so I guess that is what will be served.

Apparently it should be operating next week.

<Shameless plug mode>

We supplied the handpumps a few months ago and they have just selected what sparklers they wanted to use (we have 3 different types available). The beers on the pump are specially prepared to suit that form of dispense.

They have a total of 4 units so there could be some other nice surprises around town.

David

<Shameless plug mode>

We supplied the handpumps a few months ago and they have just selected what sparklers they wanted to use (we have 3 different types available). The beers on the pump are specially prepared to suit that form of dispense.

They have a total of 4 units so there could be some other nice surprises around town.

David
Can someone tell me - what characteristics would a beer have if it were made/prepared especially for a handpump? I've never come across a hand pump!

Damn I really need to get my arse down to the Aleshouse...I am yet to visit.

<Shameless plug mode>

David

The sparklers were DEFINITELY working well today! It took the bartender a few top-ups to fill the glass with liquid, I guess this is to live up to the "Sparkling" part of the name!

Damn I really need to get my arse down to the Aleshouse...I am yet to visit.

It's worth a visit... corner of Pulteney and Carrington streets in town. Massive schnitzels too, so make sure you're hungry if you go.

It's worth a visit... corner of Pulteney and Carrington streets in town. Massive schnitzels too, so make sure you're hungry if you go.
A group I belong to has a meeting in a room upstairs once a month, the food is good and the Vintage ale is always good. would be nice to try that on a handpump.
Cheers
Nige

Was there on Wednesday night and had a pint of the aged sparkling from the handpump.

Very nice! I was hoping for some stout but thats still not working....

And the snittys... fark. I ate half and had the other half for lunch the next day. Biggest i have seen and i thought the earl of Leicester held that honour.

Bigger schnitzel than the Earl of Leiscester? I'd be in trouble then, although the hand pump would be no problem. Will check it out.

Latest posts

Back