Sparging In Biab Made Efficiency Go 60 > 79%!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fellow Northside Brisvegan, don't forget that raising mash temps changes the conversion of sugars from starches.

Lower Mash temp = more fermentable sugars (and thinner body), higher mash temps = less fermentable sugars (and thicker body, lower alcohol). Higher than 78 degrees will increase the probability of extracting tannins and create astringent beer.

Goomba

Not sure about the effect on efficiency.

I'm picking up what you're putting down, but i mean just elevated mash out temp which = lower viscosity therefore more sugar extracted from the grain.

Speaking of Nth of the river... where do you get grain? I was getting small amounts when i was partial-BIAB from one place, but last time I tried they were out of stock of what i wanted, then out of stock on the sub, and then out of stock again on the sub of the sub. Consequently I got sad and haven't been back...

I don't sparge, I do mash out and my efficiency into the kettle seems to have settled at 82%. I do, however, attack my bag with a jumbo potato masher which gets me a couple of extra litres.

I tried dunk sparging early on and it did improve my efficiency, but then I stopped doing it and I found I was getting the same improved result! It's funny, I swear that I'm not doing anything differently now compared to my first batch, yet my efficiency has increased from 60% to 80+% over time.

I'm picking up what you're putting down, but i mean just elevated mash out temp which = lower viscosity therefore more sugar extracted from the grain.

Speaking of Nth of the river... where do you get grain? I was getting small amounts when i was partial-BIAB from one place, but last time I tried they were out of stock of what i wanted, then out of stock on the sub, and then out of stock again on the sub of the sub. Consequently I got sad and haven't been back...

I've yet to find a (good) one on the Northside. I dropped into the bloke at Kedron (I'm at Wavell Heights), and he is still rubbish, I wasn't imagining it.

So I occasionally take a trip down to craftbrewer or do an online order and have it delivered - since the delivery is free anyway. I can't fault the range or the price, and so long as I order by Wed (or ring them if I order thursday, so I get friday), it'll be on my doorstep in time for the weekend. I recommend going down there occasionally - it's a hike to Capalaba (go over story bridge, old cleveland road through Carindale, under Gateway arterial, and you are there), but it is worth having a yak to Ross or Anthony, as their knowledge is fantastic and if you need subs, they'll give a good suggestion based on experience.

Goomba

Latest posts

Back