Sparge Vessel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65bellett

Reaction score
I am looking to move my 1/2 batch brew in a bag system from the stove top to 19ltr size batches out side kitchen. I saw this Sparge Vessel at one of the site sponsors shops and was wondering if this would be suitable to use. I would like to put a cake rack type of arrangement in the bottom so that the bag does not touch the element. Does any body use a similar set up or can they envisage problems. I really dont have the room for a three ring burner and gas bottle so would prefer to use electric elements. Would love to see pics of what other brewers were using.

Cheers 65b

I am looking to move my 1/2 batch brew in a bag system from the stove top to 19ltr size batches out side kitchen. I saw this Sparge Vessel at one of the site sponsors shops and was wondering if this would be suitable to use. I would like to put a cake rack type of arrangement in the bottom so that the bag does not touch the element. Does any body use a similar set up or can they envisage problems. I really dont have the room for a three ring burner and gas bottle so would prefer to use electric elements. Would love to see pics of what other brewers were using.

Cheers 65b

Sorry I forgot to add the pic.

spargewatervessel01.jpg

spargewatervessel01.jpg

Sounds a bit like what Whats_wrong_with_Hahn did in this post: electric biab link

There will always be a debate about whether it's safe to boil in plastic, but plenty of people seem to be using the bucket-of-death set up with good results. I can't see why this couldn't be adapted for BIAB.

Now that I think about it, there are definitely electric BIABers on one of the gigantic BIAB threads.

Just make sure the bucket is big enough, the element has enough grunt (2400W should boil 19 litres nicely from what I've read) and use insulation to make the whole system more efficient.

For the volume, you'll need about 30 litres. This is your 19 litres plus losses to the grain and evaporation. If it's a bit smaller, you can always top up from the kettle.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll make it work - we brewers are a clever bunch!

Cheers,

Rob

What Malty Cultural said is all pretty much spot on..

Another way to travel might be to buy an over the side immersion element, also from one of the sponsors (handheld element, G&G) or from other places like tobins electrical components. they look something like this.

4108.jpg

I know for a fact that one of these buggers at 2000-2400W will boil a standard batch just fine. The advantage is that you dont need to shield your bag from it with a "cake rack" and its kind of self stirring... when you are holding it, you stir with it while you're heating... which you would have to do anyway. Just hang it over the side while you are boiling.

I'm not saying that the fixed elements wont work, I'm 100% sure they would. But it just think that one of these is going to end up more versatile. If a little more expensive.

My $0.02 anyway

Thirsty

Cheers 65b
65B Just save your pennies and by yourself an urn or find one on the cheap.

Back