Source Of Converted Extinguishers In Sydney Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crozdog

Lunchbox Legend!
Reaction score
I have just ordered a keg setup, but now need a source of CO2. It has been most interesting reading the posts re using CO2 extinguishers as an alternative to the commercial bottles. I would like to go down that path instead of paying what BOC etc charge per annum or having to find the initial high cost of a kegs on legs tank.

I've spoken with a couple of extinguisher places and they have both expressed issues with cutting the dip tube off & filling the bottle. It appears they were afraid of any comeback (geez I hate how Australia is becoming emancipated by the fear of legal action - sorry about the rant - I'll get down off the soapbox...)

So can anyone provide me the details (eg company name, name of individual who helped you, their phone number & suburb) of where in Sydney you successfully bought an in-test extinguisher & had it modified / filled?

Also, is it possible to replace the extinguisher "head" on the cylinder top with a standard CO2 cylinder "head"? I was wondering about this as I read somewhere that the extinguisher head can leak if left on.

Thanks in advance
Crozdog

crozdog,

Excuse me if I am a bit rude, but aren't you asking a few personal questions for your first post about business & individual names, phone numbers etc concerning fire extinguishers?

May I suggest that you visit http://www.mykegonlegs.com.au/ instead as they seem to have a few outlets now across Aus?

Have a search as I am sure that you will find plenty of info already posted.

PhilS,

no you're not being rude, maybe I was just not clear enough in my request. So some background.... I've been actively searching this and other forums for info on kegging and CO2 supply in particular. However these searches have only identified that it is possible to use an extinguisher instead of hiring a cylinder from Air equip or BOC or buying a cylinder from mykegonlegs.

My calls to extinguisher places have so far been unsuccessful. So instead of having to call the numerous extinguisher listings in the Sydney yellow pages, I was merely asking AHB members who had found somewhere that would sell / modify an extinguisher to provide the details of that company & if possible the individual they dealt with. I only asked the latter as I have had experiences in the past where one person in a company would be really helpful, but others not so.

Please be assured that I'm not attempting to find out members details, just get some info that will not only be of use to me, but will also help other members who are also attempting to source an extinguisher setup for their CO2.

Cheers

Crozdog

I picked up a 4.5KG co2 extinguisher at a garage sale the other day. Only $5.00, six years old and still full. A REAL WIN! (must have been stolen). I was going to rip the dip tube out of it but instead made up an adaptor so I can fill sodastream bottles. I have found that this works really well as you dont have to lug a heavy bottle around and you can leave the small bottle in the fridge without using too much precious beer space.

Tony M
so whats involved in filling soda streams from the ex bottle and how many kegs do u get from a soda stream??

Latest posts

Back