Sos On An Ipa Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef12345

Reaction score
On monday last week i put down a coopers IPA kit.
I used the brew mix from the brew shop that is 500 malt light, 250 maltadex 250 dextrose
I used the yeast that came with the coopers kit. I also used miltons cluster hops and sprinkled them in.
The wort sg was 1035 and the wort temp was 23 I pitched the yeast on the same day.
It is now Sunday and the mix does not look good. The air lock did not bubble once. The mix has little to no carbonation bubbles. (The mix looks flat) The sg is now 1010
I dont know what to do with this batch any help would be great!

thanks guys

On monday last week i put down a coopers IPA kit.
I used the brew mix from the brew shop that is 500 malt light, 250 maltadex 250 dextrose
I used the yeast that came with the coopers kit. I also used miltons cluster hops and sprinkled them in.
The wort sg was 1035 and the wort temp was 23 I pitched the yeast on the same day.
It is now Sunday and the mix does not look good. The air lock did not bubble once. The mix has little to no carbonation bubbles. (The mix looks flat) The sg is now 1010
I dont know what to do with this batch any help would be great!

thanks guys

If you didn't have a proper seal the airlock won't bubble. Doesn't matter too much as fermentation has occurred (i.e. your spefic gravity readings have fallen)

Sounds like it's close to bottling time to me. If you get the same SG reading three days in a row, then wack it in the bottles,

Good luck,

M

What Iron Said, I had a fermenter with a bad seal but used the readings to determine bottling time. The brews turned out fine.

What Iron Said, I had a fermenter with a bad seal but used the readings to determine bottling time. The brews turned out fine.

it tasted very sour and had little to no bubbles in the brew mix, it was very bitter also from the cluster hops

thanks guys for your help

don't be too concerned with it tasting 'sour' at the moment, it's a reasonably bitter kit and will probably take a month or two to develop. Lack of bubbling, again, probably a dicky seal, the SG has dropped which is a much more accurate indicator of what's going on.

If you didn't have a proper seal the airlock won't bubble. Doesn't matter too much as fermentation has occurred (i.e. your spefic gravity readings have fallen)

Sounds like it's close to bottling time to me. If you get the same SG reading three days in a row, then wack it in the bottles,

Good luck,

M
cheers

About getting a tight seal on your fermenter. when i put my lid on ( I just use one of those coopers 30L fermenters) I screw it on tight then squish the fermenter so it goes bloop, then keep an eye on the airlock see if the water levels out quickly. If it does try screw the lid down a bit more, then squish it aqain, the water level in the air lock sits at uneven levels in mine if i get it air tite then squish it and it goes bloop. did that make sense?

About getting a tight seal on your fermenter. when i put my lid on ( I just use one of those coopers 30L fermenters) I screw it on tight then squish the fermenter so it goes bloop, then keep an eye on the airlock see if the water levels out quickly. If it does try screw the lid down a bit more, then squish it aqain, the water level in the air lock sits at uneven levels in mine if i get it air tite then squish it and it goes bloop. did that make sense?

yes i have noticed that 'blurp' effect when pushing down on the lid. Also I have heard using glad wrap with a hole in it helps also. I do know from advice on these forums that if a brew does not seal or the air lock is not active its not the end of the world for the batch. Thanks again best wishes

it tasted very sour and had little to no bubbles in the brew mix, it was very bitter also from the cluster hops

thanks guys for your help

IPAs are very bitter beers and usually take a good amount of time to properly condition. Bottle it and try it again in s minimum of six week's time; if it tastes like arse, then you may have had an infection.

However, I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised. :icon_chickcheers:

M

IPAs are very bitter beers and usually take a good amount of time to properly condition. Bottle it and try it again in s minimum of six week's time; if it tastes like arse, then you may have had an infection.

However, I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised. :icon_chickcheers:

M
best regards IRONxMortlock

Back