Sorry for another STC thread - want to make sure I understand this

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MartinOC said:
Nizmoose,

The COLOUR of the WIRES doesn't matter once it's in a closed box. It's the connections that matter.
true, but colours matter should someone come along and (wrongfully) make assumptions on a wires purpose based on its colour... there is a reason colour standards exist ;)

SBOB said:
true, but colours matter should someone come along and (wrongfully) make assumptions on a wires purpose based on its colour... there is a reason colour standards exist ;)
Agreed. That's why I suggested Nizmoose use the appropriately-coloured wires in his first try.

Edit: Try/fail/death from electrocution etc...etc.... :huh:

MartinOC said:
Nizmoose,

The COLOUR of the WIRES doesn't matter once it's in a closed box. It's the connections that matter.

I've used bits of green for this & bits of blue for that for some of my wiring...whatever I have at the time.

Follow the wiring diagram you put up in your OP & it's all good. What you posted-up is correct.

If it makes you feel better, use the appropriate coloured wires for your connections so you get it right the first-time. After that, it's a breeze & you can just follow the diagram when you do your next one.

RDWHAHB....etc...etc...
haha yeah I understand the colours sort of dont matter haha but when I pull apart an extension cord I'm glad someone decided to colour code the wires in a predictable way and I shall wire the STC up using the same thought process :) Keeping everything standard will definitely make it easier should things be pulled apart.

Cut yourself 10cm out of an extension cord & use whatever pieces of appropriately-coloured wire you choose to make you feel confident that you're doing the right thing.

I'm confident that you're doing the right thing....

Hi Nizmoose,

No mention has been made of the enclosure type for the STC1000. If using a plastic box with no exposed metal parts your circuit is fine. However, if using a metal box or even a plastic box with a metal lid, the exposed conductive parts must be earthed to comply with Australian Standard wiring rules (AS3000).

This is in case a fault occurs such as the active wire comes loose inside the box and touches the exposed metal. Could be lethal.

MRP

mrp64 said:
Hi Nizmoose,

No mention has been made of the enclosure type for the STC1000. If using a plastic box with no exposed metal parts your circuit is fine. However, if using a metal box or even a plastic box with a metal lid, the exposed conductive parts must be earthed to comply with Australian Standard wiring rules (AS3000).

This is in case a fault occurs such as the active wire comes loose inside the box and touches the exposed metal. Could be lethal.

MRP
Hi MRP good pick up, I plan to use a fairly thick walled project box from jaycar for ease of cutting and lack of conductivity :) important part of the project for sure!

Okay so I have the stc all wired up and it's been doing its thing for a week. Incredibly easy to wire up in the end and I'll post a few photos to see if people agree it's all been done properly. I do have a question for anyone who has their fridges in a shed. How hot is too hot? My poor fridge is black which does not give it a good start and the compressor is getting fairly warm. From the attached photos you can see the set up, there a deep freezer and a fridge in a similar place and they've been running in there for years at much colder temps than I'm asking of my fermentation fridge but it is a tiny compressor. It's first test has been the last couple of days in adelaide where we've had 35ish degree days, as you can see in one of the photos ambient in the shed is around 40c and the metal outside of the fermentation fridge is pretty hot. Is there any way or any benefit to cool the outside of the fridge a little for the sake of efficiency? A wet towel over the top and sides but not back or front? As you can also see from the photos it's right up against the bloody metal sheet wall which gets nice and warm, I'd try and shove a polystyrene box lid back there but don't want to restrict airflow to the compressor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1447053256097.jpg

1447053270520.jpg

1447053284225.jpg

1447053295055.jpg

Nizmoose

Are both ends of your earth wires (the green and yellow ones) secured under both screws in the terminal block. Regulations require the earth wire to be secured by a connector with double screws so as to avoid a possible loose connection should a single screw come loose

Wobbly

wobbly said:
Nizmoose

Are both ends of your earth wires (the green and yellow ones) secured under both screws in the terminal block. Regulations require the earth wire to be secured by a connector with double screws so as to avoid a possible loose connection should a single screw come loose

Wobbly
Unless the screw has an outside diameter not less than 80% of the tunnel diameter, or if bootlace ferrules are used.

wobbly said:
Nizmoose

Wobbly
Hi wobbly they aren't both under each screw just the one coming in is screwed down on that side and the one coming out in that side. Might have to strip back more insulation and rectify this thanks. Regardless of code if it's a good idea consider it done!

FWIW from a complete newbie (both to anything to do with electrical wiring & homebrewing) this thread and in particular the wiring diagram in post #1 was very handy to getting my STC-1000 all wired up and working perfectly!

The diagram does differ slightly from several others in both the STC in Pictures thread and also a few other posts - not that this is either a good or bad thing BUT I found it a very straight forward diagram & was user friendly to wire route within an enclosed space.

Haha for fellow novices don't half wire up the controller and THEN realise that you still need to put it through your project box's slot!

Nice thread, much thanks to all that contributed and the OP.

Latest posts

Back