Some Pics Of My Latest Diy Job

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the red fibre washers from the local plumbers. They are like the ones at Bunnings. 2 on each side and then a SS washer as well.
Works well and I have not had any leaks.

cheers
johnno

I use high temp silicone washers under the nut to seal my kettles. If you're nervous about the nut pushing the washer through, put a steel washer in between the nut and the rubber washer to distribute the pressure a bit. I'd put one on either side of the kettle and, if possible shorten the threaded tube so that you can seal the washer against your kettle with the ball valve.

Passivate your brass as well -- you'll get some galvanic corrosion over time if you're not careful.

It's quite possible that even with fibre, stainless washers and thread tape on the pipe you'll still get a very minute amount of leaking through the thread. Firstly make sure you tighten the living bejeezus out of the hex nuts. Get two spanners, turn one and lean on the other for balancing-torque.

What I've found is this will usually happen with cold water. Once it's heated to mash/boiling temps I suspect the the fibre washers, metal and tape expand enough to stop the leaking.

If all of the above fails and you still get a couple of annoying leaks :angry: get hold of some fish tank sealant.

Warren -

Brizbrew, just to expand on what Ziggysan was saying, this bit of blurb is from John Palmer's How to Brew

Personally, if you can't source Stainless, I'd do the following just so you know you're not getting any lead. It'd be easier to do it before you screw it all together as well.

Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5-10 minutes at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution.

Cheers, you are all lifesavers, I will get onto this over the weekend and give it a trial with hot water instead of cold to see what that does.

I will clean up my brass parts first as above but have one question, WTF is hydrogen peroxide...?

Common Bleach? :unsure:

H2O2... bleach. Peroxide, the stuff you put in your hair.

I wouldn't be too worried about lead from brass... sure, there lead in brass, but I think you'd have to eat it to get any effects from it. There are a few articles out there concerning it, I think you're pretty safe. But, I guess better to be safe than sorry, give the solution a go.

Regarding the hydrogen peroxide - you can apparently get it from the pharmacy, but up till the last time I looked (a couple of months ago) no one in Brisbane had been able to get it in months. Something about there only being one supplier to QLD, but not actually doing any supplying.

There is an chemistry shop in West End that sell it, but at a much higher concentration than the pharmacy stuff, and only in large volumes, for large prices :eek:

So, if you manage to actually find any, let me know!

Cam

ps. Common household bleach is sodium hypochlorite mixed with water in a 5.25-percent solution.
(ref. http://science.howstuffworks.com/question189.htm)

Interestingly, i went to the local chemist tonight also and asked for some hydrogen peroxide. they had none left. it was about $8 for 400ml with 3% concentration. they suggested i come back next week.

cheers

It is also used in some older water filtration systems , perhaps try the bigger hardwares or water filtration places.

Batz

I got mine from the supermarket. Keep a very close eye on it when you clean the brass, because it doesn't take too long for the copper to dissolve as mentioned, and then you'll have to start over with a new batch.

warrenlw63 said:
It's quite possible that even with fibre, stainless washers and thread tape on the pipe you'll still get a very minute amount of leaking through the thread. Firstly make sure you tighten the living bejeezus out of the hex nuts. Get two spanners, turn one and lean on the other for balancing-torque.

What I've found is this will usually happen with cold water. Once it's heated to mash/boiling temps I suspect the the fibre washers, metal and tape expand enough to stop the leaking.

If all of the above fails and you still get a couple of annoying leaks :angry: get hold of some fish tank sealant.

Warren -
[post="67947"][/post]​

Softened copper washers from a (hydrollics-type shop) do it for me. Leaking pots, pans, etc were always repaired by this method many years ago. :)

:beer:

Got my HP from the chemist. 6 bucks for 400mls. More than enough to do all your bits. Others wanted 5 bucks for 100ml.

Borret

Latest posts

Back