Some crazy grains - what to do with them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitegoose

Reaction score
Hi all,

My missus is getting right into her breadmaking & soudough etc and has just bought a heap of crazy grains which I reckon I can use in brewing... but some of them I'm not sure what to do with them - can you just mash them like normal? Do you need to do some kind of special mash? Do you need to mash them with other grains with extra diastatic power? What styles will they work with? In what quantities?

Absolutely any advice or warnings appreciated!

So anyway the current stocks of unsual grains are:
  • Hulled Millet
  • Freekeh
  • Steel Cut Oats
  • Rolled Spelt
  • Rolled Rye
Any ideas?

Rye, spelt and oats would go okay in a Weizen or Belgian Witt. You will need to mash them with some malted barley for the diastatic power. If using a low malt to spec grain ratio then lengthen mash to at least a 90 miniutes or iodine test to ensure full conversion.

Any of the tried and true recipes will work okay, subbing spelt and or rye in various quantities. If you have Brewing Classic Styles by Zainassheff and Palmer it has a roggenbier (rye) recipe as well as Weizen and Witt recipes.

Chuck some rolled rye in where you would normally use rolled/flaked/torrified wheat. It serves a similar purpose, but brings some different flavours to the party. Bready, spicy, grassy flavours.

I asked about steel cut oats a while back and was told they'd need a cereal mash. Can neither confirm nor deny because cereal mash.

Latest posts

Back