Solution To Whirlpool Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yet to use it myself, but a SS scrubbie over the pickup tube?

(I tend to drain some of the break into my NC cube - and no ill effects here either).

(I tend to drain some of the break into my NC cube - and no ill effects here either).

I did this once Kinda....
I put the scrubbie over the bottom of the pickup tube in the the bottom of the keg and the resulting beer had a funky metallic taste all through it.
So I decided against scrubbies in my brewery.

I was sure I took a photo of my trub in the bottom of the kettle, but I musn't have as I cant find it.
I'll try and take a pic of my cube when I get home to show you.

Photo's below.

This is just before pitching, Cant see any trub in there at all.
That being said, there were no hops in this boil whatsoever and 270g of cascade in the cube.
might hide it a bit ;)

1de8ce93598fd33ff04e3f70498ca76a_243927_lrg.jpg

51af9bd465a51336d2828ee0f9c82ca0_216105_lrg.jpg

BF

You know i've heard of people doing this and tried it myself... Horrible experience. Pickup tube was blocked as soon as i started to run off. Absolutely nothing came out. Had to siphon it out. Don't know how people get good results using a scrubby.

You know i've heard of people doing this and tried it myself... Horrible experience. Pickup tube was blocked as soon as i started to run off. Absolutely nothing came out. Had to siphon it out. Don't know how people get good results using a scrubby.
Have done this a number of times, but only in my boil kettle, and only when using flowers in the boil.

I get a compact enough trub cone that I don't need to bother when using pellets, but once got a hop flower stuck in my pickup that turned the easiest brew session into a logistical nightmare. Once bitten...

I don't think that cracking the tap while the whirlpool is still going is a good idea at all. Kill the whirlpool, let it settle, then crack the tap.

(edit - bah that was a reply to the last post on the first page, sorry).

TBH, like argon et al I found that a scrubbie over the pickup tube is a complete PITA and most of the time it blocked fairly quickly, whereas when I took the tube off altogether and fixed the scrubbie to the socket fitting it worked a real treat, so much so that its my standard MO now. Have to tilt the kettle to drain the last of it, but mine is only 36L so its no biggie to do that.
I use the scrubbie because I often include leaf/ whole hops, one of those stuck down the pickup tube/ tap/ silicon hose would mean good night nurse. As per raven, a little bit of hot and some cold break is no biggie though, think I've demonstrated that fairly well in another discussion, some hops debris likewise.
My 2c, hope its helpful.

I tried out an inline strainer on the outside of my tap for the first time this brew.
Even though I used a hop sock for all additions other than the last post boil addition, the strainer blocked up and stopped flow within about 10 seconds of opening the tap. I was suprised as I thought it would take a lot more to block it up.

I had to undo the cap and take the strainer out and by pass it completely.

First and only time I did that I found the thing floating in the kettle half way through the boil :(

Back