Soft Drink On Tap? Will It Work?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
The only reason I ask is, I have tried putting Ginger Beer on tap and all I got was foam. Soda water works fine but what about soft drink, ie, carbonated cordial? would this work or a better question is why wont ginger beer work?

Steve

because its already carbonated. ytour double carbonating?

to not screw the keg seals and stuff wouldn't it be better to use soda water in the keg and just mix in a glass like cordial?

stuff with keg seals?

Weren't these kegs designed for soft drinks?

I've heard it works because I've ready people making cordial up for the kids on this forum.

I'm keen on experimenting making a premix scotch and coke. I imagine you'd have to carbonate higher than beer though.

because its already carbonated. ytour double carbonating?
No its not. Once the Ginger Beer has fermented there may be some carbonation but its still a long way off being fully carbed up.

to not screw the keg seals and stuff wouldn't it be better to use soda water in the keg and just mix in a glass like cordial?

Yep, thats what I have done in the past. Now that I think about it, even at the pub when they pour a glass of soft drink it comes out very foamy, must just be the way it is with soft drink.

From what I've read on other threads on this topic - there's been quite a few of them - you really need to amp up the carbonation and you need a lot of serving line (obviously). Lots of sugar in solution makes dissolution of CO2 a lot more difficult.

I've heard it works because I've ready people making cordial up for the kids on this forum.

I'm keen on experimenting making a premix scotch and coke. I imagine you'd have to carbonate higher than beer though.

I bought some kegs off a guy who did rum and coke on tap.

Cheers
Hewy

I've done that very thing - bought some ginger beer cordial and just filled the keg up with water from the tap. Then carbonated in the usual way. 18L of ginger beer on tap that tasted every bit as good as the stuff you buy for $2 a 1.5L bottle at the shops. Great thing to have in summer, also helps cut down on the alcohol consumption! ;)

By the way, I had no issues with foaming. Poured like a soft drink would from the bottle.

i have a GB on tap that has no issues.

I suspect it more of a case that you overcarbed the keg or have a leak somewhere allowing air in,

GB should be no different to beer, i treat it the same.

A mate has cola on tap - water mixed with soda stream concentrate then force carbed.

he also has a non alco ginger beer that was made by boiling up some ginger and sugar and then mixing it with water in the keg.

If someone just poured coke into a keg and forced some CO2 to make up for the loss in pouring, would that be fine on tap?

I've done that very thing - bought some ginger beer cordial and just filled the keg up with water from the tap. Then carbonated in the usual way. 18L of ginger beer on tap that tasted every bit as good as the stuff you buy for $2 a 1.5L bottle at the shops. Great thing to have in summer, also helps cut down on the alcohol consumption!

By the way, I had no issues with foaming. Poured like a soft drink would from the bottle.

OK, I fermented it first and at the last minute decidied to keg instead of bottling. Might try again with the Budrim GB mixer or I thinh Bunderburg do a mixer too.

i have a GB on tap that has no issues.

I suspect it more of a case that you overcarbed the keg or have a leak somewhere allowing air in,

GB should be no different to beer, i treat it the same.

A mate has cola on tap - water mixed with soda stream concentrate then force carbed.

he also has a non alco ginger beer that was made by boiling up some ginger and sugar and then mixing it with water in the keg.

Good points there. It was when I first started kegging so I may have had an air lead or just over carbed. I will give it another go. I would still like to use the Morgans GB kit and just do it with 1kg of sugar for a little hit. Got to keep SWMBO loose somehow

If someone just poured coke into a keg and forced some CO2 to make up for the loss in pouring, would that be fine on tap?

Can't see why not, was thinking of something similar with bourbon and coke premixed to around 5%. I have tried to find information on the carbonation level of coke, but didn't find out much of use, but it seems to be highly carbed, but mixing bourbon or such with it reduces the carbonation somewhat.

Crundle

There is serious consideration in our house that the 4th tap on the keggerator should be a G&T tap over the summer months - to keep it homebrew I was going to try and make the tonic myself.

Anyone know where I can get the quinine bark??

We have SodaStream as the house (low or no sugar) lemonade and have just started a trial of the cola.

We emptied a 19litre keg of lemonade a couple of weeks ago and I am now making it in bottles again. I gotta tell you that kegging soft drinks is even better than kegging beer, because all the effort that goes into making and carbonating lemonade - when at the end all you get is lemonade - is just too much.

The second greatest thing about kegging soft drinks is the reduction in PET in your life.

Done, I will do it. I will let the water (soda) carb up first then I will add a few bottle of soda stream mixer or similar. 4 taps of beer for me and nother for the other 3 members of the family is just not fair. At least thats what they say

Steve

For soft drinks made from cordial, is there any particular mixture that should be used, or just however sweet the cordial would normally be used if it were not being carbed up?

I seem to have an idea that it perhaps needs to be a tad on the stronger side to counteract what I perceive to be a 'bite' that carbed water on its own has. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Crundle

For soft drinks made from cordial, is there any particular mixture that should be used, or just however sweet the cordial would normally be used if it were not being carbed up?

I seem to have an idea that it perhaps needs to be a tad on the stronger side to counteract what I perceive to be a 'bite' that carbed water on its own has. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Crundle

It's probably the other way around. Carbing seems to enhance flavour.

forgive my ignorance maybe, but doesn't the pub guns mix the soft drink at the gun (carbed water & syrup). And isn't the reason you add the syrup to soda stream bottles after you've carbed the water, instead of mixing then carbing. I think this makes sense, I just woke up.

Nathan

Now there is a point. And a good one. A soda stream greats real messy if u carb up the mix as well. Maybe this is why my pre mixed ginger beer was too foamy?

Latest posts

Back