Sodium Perc question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have had a sodium perc mix (perc & met) in my fermenters for 3 days and I was wondering if its ok to just rinse it out, star-san and then transfer the brew from my no-chill cube.

I ask the question because i have had a bit of trouble with infections recently and i read somewhere that this stuff pretty much does nothing after 24 hours. I meant to do this yesterday but i had a few too many (disgusting) beers at the footy.

Should i rinse it and re "clean" it?

Just rinse and sanitise will be fine, at least that's what most people are doing.
I wouldn't think your cleaning agent mix would loose all it's power after 24 hours to the point where it's susceptible to new infections.

I will usually rinse with hot water... just coz..

Starsan will actually pretty much neutralise it, one being alkaline and one being acidic, but I always feel better having rinsed first. I wouldnt worry about re-cleaning as long as you have cleaned all surfaces (soaked/wiped/rinsed)

:icon_cheers:

Is it the same container(s) that are infected every time? The popular theory says that plastic is porous and infections can hide in the material, and it's safest to dispose of any plastic cubes that have been infected in the past.

As far as rinsing I usually rinse it twice with water before adding Starsan. I find the first rinse is usually still pretty soapy, the second rinse is normally fine, and the third "rinse" with Starsan should solve anything left over.

slash22000 said:
Is it the same container(s) that are infected every time? The popular theory says that plastic is porous and infections can hide in the material, and it's safest to dispose of any plastic cubes that have been infected in the past.

As far as rinsing I usually rinse it twice with water before adding Starsan. I find the first rinse is usually still pretty soapy, the second rinse is normally fine, and the third "rinse" with Starsan should solve anything left over.
No i occasionally get them in all of my containers. The last one i got, i did 2 brews at the same time and they were both infected. I didn't use any cleaning agent last time. I thought they were fairly clean so i just gave them a spray and then used starsan.

after using sodium percarbonate i always rinse 2 or 3 times, so that's not the question. Do you think that the fermenters need to be chucked? I would have thought a soaking regime would have sort out any of those issues.

Florian said:
Just rinse and sanitise will be fine, at least that's what most people are doing.
I wouldn't think your cleaning agent mix would loose all it's power after 24 hours to the point where it's susceptible to new infections.
I guess this is the answer I am looking for. I hope this is the case.

If you suspect the vessel is causing infections then a soak in caustic will also help. Make sure you rinse well. Although nasty to use caustic will nail anything left and wont go off

I've left a napisan solution in fermenters for months (completely full) without issue.

I may just be lucky, however. If you're concerned just wash them again - easily done and you don't need to worry anymore.

Latest posts

Back