Sodastream Adapter Is Leaking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afromaiko

Incredibly Strong Ales
Reaction score
I have one of these fancy Sodastream adapters but its started leaking where the large brass adapter (on the right in the pic) screws into the ball valve.

sodastream-2000psi.jpg

http://craftbrewer.com/shop/details.asp?PID=765

It looks like it was originally thread sealed with some kind of glue. I'm wondering if I can just use gas tape on this instead and will it hold the high side pressure?

If not, then does anyone know what this glue is called and where can I find it in Melbourne.. ie: specialty gas place like BOC, plumbing joints or even Bunnings?

I would shoot Ross an email and no doubt he will sort you out :)

I have one of these fancy Sodastream adapters but its started leaking where the large brass adapter (on the right in the pic) screws into the ball valve.

sodastream-2000psi.jpg

It looks like it was originally thread sealed with some kind of glue. I'm wondering if I can just use gas tape on this instead and will it hold the high side pressure?

If not, then does anyone know what this glue is called and where can I find it in Melbourne.. ie: specialty gas place like BOC, plumbing joints or even Bunnings?

thread tape will be fine, works for me for the last year or so.

Otherwise you can use a product called 'LOXEAL', which is a gas connection sealant (from plumbing trade outlets). It's a bit pricey though, so I'd just go with the gas tape, that'll work fine IMO.

Afromaiko,

Thread tape will work fine - But if you want a replacement sent, just drop us a line & we'll have a new one sent immediately with a return satchel for the faulty one.

cheers

Ross
CraftBrewer

Afromaiko,

Thread tape will work fine - But if you want a replacement sent, just drop us a line & we'll have a new one sent immediately with a return satchel for the faulty one.

cheers

Ross
CraftBrewer

Hey that's awesome Ross. However I just put some gas tape on it and it doesn't seem to be leaking any more so I'll see how it goes. I'm guessing the sealant probably started to give because of repeated screwing & unscrewing of the cylinders. They need to be tightened up quite a bit because the plastic washer that comes with the kit seems a little too thick for the cylinder pin to depress properly.

I lost the little plastic disc almost instantly ...

I have been replacing it with a trimmed down grolsch bottle washer. It petrifies after 6 months or so... but they cost 20c to replace. Because its soft rubber, I find that the fittings dont have to be done up so tight to get a good seal.

can i ask a silly question? is that tap on there to mimmick a on/off open/close knob on your big gas bottle?

can i ask a silly question? is that tap on there to mimmick a on/off open/close knob on your big gas bottle?

Yes it is, and it's great for helping conserve your precious Sodastream gas. I turn it off when not in use, but since the leaking was on the high pressure side my bottle started running flat anyway on the last keg I did. Hopefully this is all sorted now.

sodastream-2000psi.jpg

Plumbers use a thread paste, you can get it from bunnings.

Plumbers use a thread paste, you can get it from bunnings.

I've just bought a replacement sodastream bottle and went to screw it into my adapter (attached to the reg, etc.) but I can only screw it in a little way - way before it's hand tight - before I get gas shooting out everywhere. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

ToG

Soda Stream have recently changed their bottles yet again. I haven't seen the new ones yet, perhaps you got one? Does the thread look the same as the previous one?

Soda Stream have recently changed their bottles yet again. I haven't seen the new ones yet, perhaps you got one? Does the thread look the same as the previous one?

Well, it looked the same, I thought. I can't exactly compare it with the old one as that was traded in. It screws in okay but just bloody leaks everywhere - I've got the CO2 burns to prove it! Not nice. :(

Cheers
ToG

I have had no end of trouble with these buggers. Ross has replaced one thread, and given me soft plastic washers to replace the white hard plastic ones, but yes, I have to screw the bejeesus out of the bottle to get it to engage and not just shoot gas out back through the adaptor.
Had two different adaptors, two types of washer and gone through about 4 bottles. (over the years have used up to two, just wasting gas just trying to get a seal).

It could be a bottle issue as outlined in the other posts but at the risk of stating things you've already checked, have you made sure the washer is still there?
The first time I changed mine the little washer had come off with the bottle rather than remaining in the washer and I had the same issue...

It could be a bottle issue as outlined in the other posts but at the risk of stating things you've already checked, have you made sure the washer is still there?
The first time I changed mine the little washer had come off with the bottle rather than remaining in the washer and I had the same issue...
Actually now you mention it I don't recall a little washer sitting on the top of the bottle. I'll have a scout about on the shed floor. Thanks for the advice. I've got largish blisters on my hand this morning where the freezing CO2 got me. Lots of tricks for new players, I guess.

Cheers

ToG

Actually now you mention it I don't recall a little washer sitting on the top of the bottle. I'll have a scout about on the shed floor. Thanks for the advice. I've got largish blisters on my hand this morning where the freezing CO2 got me. Lots of tricks for new players, I guess.

Cheers

ToG

I have recently (within the last 2 months) gotten myself a new soda stream bottle and adaptor for use at parties, etc.

I did exactly the same thing as you... ended up with gas leaking and very grey looking brass. The fitting is pretty tight, but it does keep going in without any damage to the thread - I was pretty paranoid about overtightening myself.

I use a bit of plumbing tape (read stacks) over the thread and then put the adaptor onto the reg first (more tape) and then using a shifter to hold the adaptor/reg combo, screw the bottle into the adaptor until she won't go any further. No leaking gas and no worries.

You will def need to find the washer tho... good luck with that :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Brendo

I had a terrible time trying to get a SS cylinder into the adapter over summer and, after the realisation that the cylinder was a bit warm, put the cylinder in the fridge for a while. It is my story that the tiny, tiny amount of shrinkage due to the temperature change was enough to make a happy ending.

Might be worth a try as almost nobody gets hurt if it doesn't work.

I found the hard white plastic washers the adapters come with to be pretty useless. They are not thick enough and don't stay in place when swapping over bottles. I made a new one by punching a larger hole out of a yellow delaware tap washer.

I've got largish blisters on my hand this morning where the freezing CO2 got me. Lots of tricks for new players, I guess.

Cheers

ToG

Lucky this is not the US, someone would be getting their arse sued by now. :lol:

Batz

Latest posts

Back