Soda water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel0395

Reaction score
Hello, fairly new to the world of homebrew, and i have just bought a keg system and this week i had a surprise surgery :/ so unable to work for a few weeks and not being able to drink grog for a while i wanted to make some soda water, could someone give me all the basics as i dont have any idea at all about pressures, time, temps or anything else i need to know! Thanks

Give the keg a good wash as you would for beer.

You can either force carbonate using the crank and shake method (there's a FAQ on the keg king website).

Or you can carbonate at serving pressure, say 10psi, over a week.

If I've got cold water, I sometimes hook my gas up to the beer out post, turn the reg on to 40 psi or so, shake the life out I the keg until I can no longer hear gas being pushed into the keg (usually about 2 mins) and then disconnect the gas. Wait 30 mins, burp the keg and re connect the gas to the in post at a serving pressure. It's usually drinkable immediately. Water is much more forgiving the beer when over carbonated.

That said, most commonly for me it's usually a matter of hooking the keg up at 10 and waiting.

Forgive me, I forgot to say that I hope you recover quickly from your surgery Joel.

Thanks a heap mate, looking forward to try it out! The doctor disagreed with beer being a good cure anyway! Cheers

Thanks a heap mate, looking forward to try it out! The doctor disagreed with beer being a good cure anyway! Cheers

thedragon said:
If I've got cold water, I sometimes hook my gas up to the beer out post, turn the reg on to 40 psi or so, shake the life out I the keg until I can no longer hear gas being pushed into the keg (usually about 2 mins) and then disconnect the gas. Wait 30 mins, burp the keg and re connect the gas to the in post at a serving pressure. It's usually drinkable immediately. Water is much more forgiving the beer when over carbonated.
Do this and you'll be sweet. Just clean & fill your keg with water and leave in fridge overnight to chill then follow above tips and you'll be drinking soda water in no time. Try putting a teaspoon of some fancy rock salt (or just plain sea salt if you want) in the keg for that "sparkling mineral water" vibe.

I always have soda water on tap, the mrs loves it, i drink it and it means i can get those soda stream cordials and make up a glass at a time as needed.

Al

Thanks guys, just wondering if i have to sterilise my gear for soda water? Or just give it a good rinse as its all clean anyway

As a minimum, treat it as you would a refillable bottle of water in you're fridge. Make sure that it's clean and kept cold.

However for the peace of mind I usually give it a quick going over with star San before filling: 1L of diluted star san inside and shaken about and a quick squirt on the posts and QDs. But as WG says, it's only water, so I may be over doing it.

If I'm making soda water in a keg thats just had beer in it or come out of the reserves i rinse and star san it, once it's in the fridge I top it up when it's about 1/4 full, do that a couple of times then take out and give it a clean and sanitise again then back into rotation.

Latest posts

Back