Soda Stream Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagers44

Reaction score
Hey people,

I've just been thinking about my party keg and am wondering if anyone has refiled their soda stream bottles ?.
How did you do it and did you use off the shelf equipment. I've got two old bottles but can't get an answer from soda stream as to how to exchange them for new. So do you guys refill them or just pay the $ for an exchange ?
I'm willing to give it a go but need instructions as to how to proceeed.

Thanks. Lagers :unsure:

I assume that you can exchange them for refilled bottles at Big W. On the sodastream website, they used to have a link to show the nearest place (by postcode) that stocked refills. I'm unsure of the cost as I haven't had to replace any yet. I don't know anything about refilling them.

Hey lagers

I'm planning on finding out this week. I'm going to try and fill a SodaStream from a larger Co2 bottle by a transfer lead. Will keep you posted.

G'day fellas,
There is some good info here but before you jump in READ THIS and THIS !
If you have the knowledge and correct equipment knock yourself out but if you are not 100% sure then have a good think about whether the risk is worth the savings. Your choice !
Cheers
Doug

Big W will swap them for about $12.

I'd be interested in hearing how many kegs you got out of one bottle. I just finished my SS bottle after 2 party kegs (of 8L capacity). The first one was naturally carbed but the second wasn't. I also lost a lot of Co2 because my regulator was stuffed and I had to replace it (the crappy plastic one on the weed sprayers).

Cheers,

Tim

Yep I had 2 OLD "Fast and Fizzy" bottles that were empty. Took them to Big W and got them swapped over @ $12 each :)

I got through I'd say at least six 8L party kegs (fraid I lost count :icon_drunk: ) on one SS bottle. I naturally carbonate, but find that a week in the fridge with a few top ups gets the beer to a nice level of carbonation. I don't use a reg, just a simple tyre valve setup.

Big W will swap them for about $12.

I'd be interested in hearing how many kegs you got out of one bottle. I just finished my SS bottle after 2 party kegs (of 8L capacity). The first one was naturally carbed but the second wasn't. I also lost a lot of Co2 because my regulator was stuffed and I had to replace it (the crappy plastic one on the weed sprayers).

Cheers,

Tim

Hi All,

I have 2 older Soda Stream bottles,and Woolies,etc,here Wont exchange them for the new type Bottle,and neither will any other hardware stores.

I took a Punt,and bought the "New Style",larger 330 gram bottle full of Co2 for $23.00,

From Mitre 10.

It fits Perfectly in my old Soda Stream Housing.

I think a refill is only around $9.00 odd.

For the cost of a refill,compared against the problems/Danger,of trying to refill from a large Bottle.
I wouldn,t bother.

Regards.
John

Hi All,

I took a Punt,and bought the "New Style",larger 330 gram bottle full of Co2 for $23.00,

From Mitre 10.

Regards.
John

Hello John,

I was quoted $41 from KMart. Where are you located ??

Regards

Graeme

+1
please divulge location of $23 new and full bottles please.
My mate works for mitre 10.... hmmmm :D (actually his inlaws own it...)

sms has been sent.....!!
awaiting positive reply. hopefully our friend johnno02, will be back soon too

Hey guys ,

After you're replies I went to Big W and the young girl did exchange my old grey bottles for the new ones , she was even so nice that she gave me the 2 new bottles and said goodbye , so they were exchanged AND free gas for the first 2.

Have to love young pimply faced teens , looks like i wont be needing to fill from Co2 bottle after all.

Thanks again

Lagers :lol:

Hi All,
I got my Soda Stream co2 at Eatons Mitre ten in Singleton,NSW

I still have the receipt I was 50 cents out it was $23.50

Big W at Cessnock wanted $30 odd,no way would they exchange.

At the time they didn,t have an empty so I could check thread sizes.

Regards.
John

Hello John,

I was quoted $41 from KMart. Where are you located ??

Regards

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

$41.00,is a bit rude,I live in the Hunter Valley,and Prices seem to vary all over the place.

The nice young girl,at Eatons Mitre ten Singleton, was very helpful,very Cute,And Interested in Home Brewing,sounds like the perfect woman to me.

Damn shame I am nearly 60,and Married for the last 34 years...........My wife Kathy was with me at the time,actually accused me of Flirting with the Gorgeous sweet young Lady.

I didn't even notice her.

Regards.
John

My mitre ten contact came back with... "we don't do anything sodastream" dang.
The search continues. 41 bucks still the norm.

i have aquired most of my soda stream bottles for the refill price $12. you just have to keep going to kmart's, big w and ask for one if there isn't an old biddy behind the counter that is switched on thats prolly been there for donkeys years they will just scan the bottle and it will come up with the refill price bargain! if they ask for an exchange just act dumb and say you left it at home and really need to carbonate your beer i mean soft drink :icon_cheers:

you get to learn the process and pick easy candidates quite easy.

ok for the non duboius type try salvo's, good sammy's etc sometimes they have them also try garage sales, ask all your friends some one is bound to have one failing that try freecycle my mate got one off there for nix!

happy hunting Rob.

Might be worth contacting local stockists based on the results of the store locator

http://www.sodastream.com.au/auretail/storelocator.asp

My inlaws live in singo - I'll be waiting till next time they come down or we go up to get a couple!

Cheers
I'd ring your chosen one from that list first though.
It hasn't been updated too well. One of my local Coles as stopped stocking them but that hasn't been updated on the site yet. Plus some places seem to take an age to get them in, at least up here in Brisbane.
Some are better than others so as I said, might pay to give them a call.

Latest posts

Back