Soda Stream Cylinders

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
G'day,

i was wondering if anybody who uses ss cylinders could tell me how much use they get out of them? (how many kegs can u draw/gas with them)

i really dont want to rent a cylinder from boc etc so im trying to suss other ideas

Any help would be gr8..

Cheers,

Woody (pokolbinguy)

SodaStream cylinders are quite useful for portable/party setup, but I wouldn't suggest using one for your home unit.

I've got an adaptor and "100L" cylinder...did away with the smaller ones as they ran out too fast.

When I first got the kegging itch I searched here and there are many posts to be found.

From memory, one small SodaStream cylinder will force carbonate and dispense between one and two kegs.

Your best bet would be to purchase a MyKegOnLegs cylinder for home (no rental) and either use it for both or get a SodaStream setup for partys, BBQs, etc.

PZ.

Cheers,

any idea where i could source an extinguisher to use? $300 for a "kegonlegs" is a little out of my budget... im a uni student...thus the initial interest in home brew... cheap beer :D

i have had a sodastream attached to a keg for about 24hrs @ 40psi... although it doesnt seem to have carbonated? is this the right pressure... should i be doing something special? note the out line is connected atm.

Any replies would be gr8.....

ohh and i realise that some of this stuff has been talked about previously on this forum but i am struggling to read through the lot of it.

Thanks folks.... and happy easter.... may all your brews be cold and consistant.

Woody

As for extinguishers, a number of users on here have hook-ups, but we'll need to know your location... :ph34r:

24 hours at 40psi should see your keg somewhat carbonated...if it is cold enough...kegs must be cold for proper force carbonation ;)

PZ.

Keg has been in fridge since i put the gas to it... maybe the seals in the keg are not so gr8 ?? :blink: whats the best way to test pressure holding ability. (Sorry im new to kegging.... as in about a week)

i live pokolbin (cessnock..45 min drive west of newcaslte) .... but newcastle is fine with me as i have to drive there often for uni.

if anybody knows of someone around newcastle that could hook me up with a good cylinder that would be gr8. im willing to hook them up with good priced wine aswell if interested.

Cheers

Woody

Testing for leaks - spray a soapy water solution around all joints, valves, etc and if it bubbles you have a leak.

Username KillerRx4 has an extinguisher hook-up in Sydney I think, so maybe drop him a PM.

What capacity keg are you using? The more volume of beer the longer it will take/more gas required to carbonate.

Sooner or later you really should do some specific searching of the forum, before the search nazis blow you up for not doing so :blink:

PZ.

Thanks for that... ill see if anybody knows of a supplier closer to home, but if that fails ill try the guy in syd you mentioned.

Im using 18ltr post mix kegs.

Cheers,

Woody

Ahh, I think I just realised the issue with your carbonation.

You put the gas on as soon as you put it in the fridge, but before it was properly chilled, right?

If so, it should be "fully fizzy" by tomorrow night.

Chill the keg fully before gassing and it gets a whole lot more predictable :beer:

PZ.

Ahh ok cool... i shall wait till than and see how it went. Thanks for the in-sight. Gr8 to know there is ppl out there willing to share there 2c.

Im sure i will have many rewarding relations with this forum.

Have a good easter..

I used to use Soda Stream Cylinders before getting my big cylinder. I mainly just used them to drive the beer from the keg after naturally carbonating, I did however experiment a bit with force carbonation and found that I could carbonate and dispense 2 kegs with a Soda Stream Cylinder. As Fingerlickin has already said make sure the beer is cold before carbonating as the CO2 will disolve faster.

Cheers
BradT

Edit Splenig

Back